Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 4th, 2015 18:00

Please help me with Windows Reinstall.

So, I got an Inspiron since last year, which came with Windows 8 pre-installed.

Then, as a computer engineering student, I wanted to explore the UNIX system and installed a Linux distro. Then I had Windows and Linux in it, as intended. But I didnt like the distro I installed, then I installed another one, and said that I wanted it to uninstall the previous Linux I had and install this one.

But, this new Linux distro ended up erasing EVERY OS I had installed. And I need Windows for college. So, I have used the "mediacreationtool.exe" to create the installation media so I could do a clean install of windows.

But, another problem came up, it asked for a Product Key, it didnt just automatically retrieve it from my motherboard Then ok, I tried what this guy said over here: 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4677/t/19535839

Now I have installed Windows 8. BUT OF COURSE, a new problem appeared. There was no internet connection as Windows was trying to look for a Ethernet connection not Wi-Fi. And there is no "Wi-Fi Toggle Button" of any kind on it either. And, to sum it up, none of the keyboard functions work besides the sound adjust. I can't adjust brightness using the keyboard.

I'm very *** off and annoyed. When will this end? Please I need some help.

27 Posts

August 6th, 2015 18:00

Thanks so much for your help, my friend! 

I've read both pages and watched the videos, I'll try that tomorrow. Just 1 thing: Am I supposed to reply to you with the hardware ID and model?

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 7th, 2015 02:00

Just 1 thing: Am I supposed to reply to you with the hardware ID and model?

Only if you need help with system drivers.

27 Posts

August 7th, 2015 07:00

Well, I have succesfully installed the correct version of Windows 8.1. It hanst asked for a product key, so thank you for that.

But still, brightness function doesnt work and neither does the Wi-Fi. It just isnt available, no toggles or anything. So I'll send you my hardware ID and model.

Model: 

Inspiron 14 (3442, Early 2014)

Hardware IDs are in the attachment file.

Thanks

1 Attachment

27 Posts

August 10th, 2015 10:00

Hey sorry, but what should I do next?

27 Posts

August 11th, 2015 10:00

I just did all that and it still didn't work...

No Wi-Fi connection option. Plus Windows is asking for activation, even though I already did install it succesfully.

My entire vacations were trying to fix this thing. And college started days ago. 

I'll guess I'll just have to buy a new notebook just because of that. Amazing.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 11th, 2015 12:00

Does the device manager still have errors, did you install all the drivers listed (any error messages during driver installation)?

27 Posts

August 12th, 2015 17:00

I have received some error messages. I'm going to try installing 1 by 1 completely, that is, restarting the computer when it happens( after formatting and reinstalling Windows, which I just did ). Then i'm going to tell you if the same thing happens.

27 Posts

August 12th, 2015 19:00

I did install all the drivers listed. I did receive errors once again, while installing the video driver and input driver.

And I checked the device manager, theres 3 errors: 3d video controller, network controller and some random unknown device.

And yeah idk if this info will be of any use: Windows asks me to activate my copy, even though I have gone through the entire installation process and it didnt ask me for the key then.

Isnt there like an ultimate solution for this? I really need my notebook working :(

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 13th, 2015 00:00

Are you currently on Windows 8.1 or Windows 10?

27 Posts

August 17th, 2015 18:00

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 18th, 2015 01:00

27 Posts

August 19th, 2015 16:00

Thanks a lot, man!

It works now. Thank you very much for your assistance!

No Events found!