Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 15th, 2017 09:00

Software & operation system

Hi guys I have a very bad problem with my Laptop Dell inspiron 15r 5537

Everytime I shut down, restart, sleep/hibernate it freezes the PC itself.When I shut down, it doesn't shut down completely ( gives power on when shuting down) same goes to sleep/hibernate, gives power on and pressing power button that doesn't work either with other.But sometimes shut down and sleep/hibernate works and most of the time didn't work.

Please guys, I want to stop this problem from be happening everytime.

Thank you - Omar

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 16th, 2017 09:00

Run the Dell Diagnostics to test hardware. But first check the status of the battery. Have you ever replaced the battery on this 4 yr old model?  It is not worth spending the money on a new Dell battery or any major hardware on a 4 yr old laptop, IMO. Dell replacement batteries should be used--

www.dell.com/.../312-1387

July 16th, 2017 15:00

Well my battery isn't that very old is at least 1-2 years as well my battery health is normal (not very bad).

As for Dell Diagonstics, I scan it and said to be nothings wrong with the system at all.Above all,I don't know what's wrong with it, It could be driver missing?

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

July 16th, 2017 20:00

Thank you for your message.

Do you have to restart the computer in order for you to use the computer again or does the computer respond after some time?

Update the bios from this link http://dell.to/2tZluTT 

Update the chipset here http://dell.to/2u05Iq8  followed by the video drivers from this link http://dell.to/2tZwj6R  & restart the computer.

Complete all Windows updates & check the functionality.

July 17th, 2017 07:00

Well When restarting the PC is going normal and sometimes It take a 30 seconds (or less) to boot to windows due to install programs and drivers.But I have run Dell Diagonstics again, I found an error came from the Hard drive (which your installing windows, apps etc),the rest is working normal.

As for sleep/hibernate,It only happens when it's open and I am away,which may freeze the computer by give power on (not glowing power on).Same goes to shut down that doesn't shut down completely as the result, giving power on not off.

I found one or two problem which may/might be the one causing this problem:

1.Intel rapid storage technology (when installed)

2.AMD driver (sometimes I want my driver to be latest and work functionality)

About the BIOS driver,I can't take another risk of installing the BIOS.

The reason why I am saying this because, this happen when I install it to my previous laptop and suddenly my PC is dead (not responding). I had to take to repair shop and found it that couldn't repair the BIOS (which there were no parts to replace it or fix the BIOS itself).

I apologize for this point, I lost my files because didn't know that this would happen In terrible situation.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

July 17th, 2017 20:00

What is the hard drive error message you get on the hard drive?

You can update the chipset & the graphic driver & this should fix the freezing issue on wake up.

We understand your concern about the bios update, if the warranty on your computer has expired you don’t have to update the bios. You can set bios to defaults, once in bios press F9 to set bios to defaults & then F10 to save and exit.

You can disable IRST from the start up programs & check if that makes any difference.

July 18th, 2017 10:00

Well, the error given to me was "testing long-term unsuccessful" since it took me 6 hours on testing the hard drive in Dell Diagonstics. I actually found the problem that I faced.

The IRST was the one causing the PC to not work properly.I just uninstall the driver and it work perfectly, any idea why is not working since I installed?

One question, I just installed intel chipset driver, when I was installing AMD driver it didn't work properly.Maybe I install 2 driver at the same time or I am wrong?

The AMD driver is in Chipset (Render), which I am not sure where go wrong.And the graphic is intel graphic card.

July 19th, 2017 04:00

Hello guys, well actually the problem was not from the IRST at all. It was my hard drive is damaged.

This image is an evidence to provide the real problem which was the cause of all this.

Well didn't realize that my hard drive is damaged and needs to be replace it. But Thank you for all your help guys and I appreciate so much.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

July 19th, 2017 19:00

We would recommend you to run a custom test on the hard drive, just to confirm that the hardware is at fault.

If the test takes a long time (more than an hour) this could be an issue with the hard drive.

To run a custom test.

1) Press at the welcome screen for the boot menu

2) At the One Time Boot menu, press the arrow key to highlight Diagnostics, then press to begin ePSA.

3) Choose no for memory test and then choose system test

4) Now click on custom test and highlight hard drive and click run test

July 21st, 2017 05:00

Well I have run the custom scan on ePSA in short test.The message is twice failed as usual in my hard drive.

If you want to check the information about my hard drive, is down below

1.message:Short-test unsuccessful (twice)

2.Error:2000-0142 (twice)

3.Validation:82082 (twice)

Note:The ePSA has marked "X" on my hard drive.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

July 23rd, 2017 02:00

This confirms that the physical hard drive has failed & will require a replacement.

As you mentioned earlier that the system is about 4 years old & assuming that the warranty has expired, we would request you to contact our out of warranty team for further assistance on the hard drive replacement.

If the system is under warranty, this will be replaced without any cost. Please click on my Dell username & share the service tag along with the registered name & email address.

No Events found!