Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 20th, 2013 10:00

System won't sleep or shutdown after 8.1 update!

Serious problem after 8.1 update from windows 8. My Dell notebook won't sleep when idled or lid closed, nor will it shutdown. The screen turns black, and the keyboard blacklight and fan are still on and cannot revert to normal mode unless I do a hard reset.

Updated to latest drivers and windows update, to no avail. Checked sleep and power options, and they're still the same as before. Please help! Neither Dell nor Microsoft tech support were able to figure this out, and will call back later.

2 Posts

October 23rd, 2013 18:00

Same issue with my Inspiron 3721. The last computer I had to deal with a similar issue needed a BIOS update to enable this same function in Windows 7. So, my line of thinking is a bad piece of code in the BIOS, or a driver. I did an install on an IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad, and the power function performed flawlessly. I also, will be awaiting an answer from Dell on this issue. BTW, I reverted back to 8 until this is resolved.

2 Posts

November 20th, 2013 14:00

Exactly the same issue with XPS 13 (L321)

The machine is pretty much useless untli this is sorted out. Either it runs out of battery or is will not operate.

I have spent a substantial amount of time verifying everything without any luck.

This must be a true bug somewhere

2 Posts

November 21st, 2013 13:00

Well, after another set of hours and restarts, I finally have a machine that is close to what I want.

I cant swear to what was the single thing that did it but I feel that changing BIOS setting for INTEL Smart Connect (disable) and INTEL Rapid Start (No delay time -> Immediately dif the trick.

Through the day I have also gone through all options in powercfg and disabled every Item that would wake the system.

Finally is seems to be solved!

Hope this helps someone

2 Posts

November 30th, 2013 10:00

Update: The issue has finally been solved, at least in my case. So, here's what I found:

1: This is a MS issue. There are other makes reporting this same behavior.

2: MS has released a fix for this, as of 11/19/13. Make sure you download all important updates. If you're doing the upgrade from 8 to 8.1 through the Windows Store, these updates will be installed automatically.

3: Make sure that you leave the network Homegroup that 8.1 has created automatically (others report this was hanging up the network adapter with activity). You may recreate a Homegroup afterwards, if you so desire.

4: Make sure your BIOS, and network adapters have the latest updates. Just doing a system scan on the Dell Support page will NOT show all the latest drivers. You have to select the option to view all drivers for your product. I had an update to my 1704 wireless adapter that did not show. That was the most important step to make it run correctly.

Hope this helps out.

25 Posts

December 5th, 2013 18:00

Not fixed here. Just updated a Dell XPS 2710 from Windows 8 (With sleep working perfectly) to 8.1 and now it won't sleep.  Screen goes off but system is still running.  Confirmed on all the latest Dell BIOS and drivers, no homegroup and all MS updates applied....

Also disabled "Allow device to wake PC" from the wired NIC (PC uses wifi not the wired NIC) but no change there either...

1 Message

December 29th, 2013 04:00

I have an Inspiron 660 desktop. Originally came with Win 8, upgraded to 8.1 last weekend. Since the upgrade, the PC will not sleep when on ethernet but works perfectly on WiFi....Any ideas??

2 Posts

December 29th, 2013 08:00

I have the Vostro 3460 and encountered the exact same issue.

It's been driving me crazy for weeks.

Its seems that after updating the drivers - graphic card or wireless adapter, it goes back to normal, sleeping and shutting down normally, but the next day the problem returns! This makes the error even more confusing!

I have tried everything suggested besides smashing the laptop with a hammer.

If anyone has more suggestions I'd love to hear.

February 12th, 2014 08:00

This doesn't solve the problem. I updated my Catalyst drivers to latest version from dell's site. When I asked dell, they gave this reply...

Thank you for contacting Dell Technical Support.

Kindly follow the link below to update the Bios.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/inspiron-15-3537?driverId=TTNX6&osCode=W864&fileId=3321813739&languageCode=en&categoryId=BI

If problem still persists then follow the steps below.

Kindly follow the link below to install the drivers.

• Uninstall the drivers from device manager [After clicking uninstall a confirmation message pops out , tick the option 'Delete the driver software from this device'].

• Uninstall the Intel and AMD driver applications from Program and Features

• Reboot the machine

• Download driver version "13-9_mobility_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql" from below links

o http://www.4shared.com/file/Id8UR_9_/13-9_mobility_win7_win8_64_dd_.htm

o http://www33.zippyshare.com/v/55504187/file.html

o http://topdownloads.ru/programs/file/13-9_mobility_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql/8739471.htm

• Install the software and Restart your PC

• Open Device Manager

• Click > sign next to ‘Display Adapters’.

• Right click the entry listed under ‘Display Adapters’ and click ‘Update Driver Software’. [ Update both Drivers listed]

It was pleasure serving you today.

Thank you for choosing Dell.

Even this doesnt solve the issues.

2 Posts

May 12th, 2014 06:00

This worked for me:

http://www.askvg.com/fix-windows-8-restart-and-shutdown-problems-by-disabling-hybrid-shutdown-feature/

No Events found!