Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 30th, 2014 13:00

Using ASCII characters in Win 8

I like to use a few ASCII characters in emails and letters. Like registered trade mark or cent symbol, etc. Sometimes even the happy face. Using Win XP I would use the Alt key plus a number. Now when I do that, nothing happens. How do I access these characters using Win 8.1?

5.2K Posts

April 30th, 2014 20:00

Still works the same in Win 8. You must use the numeric keypad to get symbols. If you have a laptop without a numeric pad, you need to use the embedded numeric pad, not the top row numbers.

2 Posts

May 5th, 2014 17:00

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, using Alt + numbers does nothing. I've tried Alt + zero + numbers and Alt + number. All the same numbers I used when I had XP but still nothing. I mean, nothing happens at all. I'm mystified. Any ideas? Anyone?

5.2K Posts

May 12th, 2014 12:00

You can also use the character map. Type "character map" in the search box and you will get everything.

5.2K Posts

May 12th, 2014 12:00

Are you using a laptop or desktop? Is this a new machine or an upgraded XP machine? On a laptop,you need to use the Fn key to turn on the embedded keypad. With a desktop, make sure the keypad is turned on.

No Events found!