anand17051993
2 Bronze

WINDOWS 8 PRODUCT KEY

I bought my laptop 4 years ago. When I bought it came with a genuine windows 8 home edition.
I had updated it to windows 10. Now when i tried to reinstall windows10 the laptop froze. And i am not able to retrieve it back. I think I have lost my genuine windows. I don't have my product key also.
What to do ?  How can I get it back ? 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dell-SreejithR

RE: WINDOWS 8 PRODUCT KEY

Thank you for your message.

Starting with Windows 8 the product key is embedded in the motherboard. If you reinstall the Windows OS with a Dell image, you will not need an activation key.

The OS will get activated when connected to the internet.

Please run a hardware diagnostic by following this link bit.ly/2fJuGXB , if there are no hardware errors, you can reinstall the OS.

If you do not have the Dell OS media, you can contact the out of warranty team & purchase a Windows 8 recovery disc.

Once you install Windows 8, you can upgrade to Windows 10 without any charges as you had already registered & upgraded to Windows 10.

Dell-SreejithR
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
aydin62
2 Bronze

hi.

I have a similar problem. I have Dell operating system, windows 8 64-bit but during to installition asking to me product key. why asking pruduct key for me? can you help me please? tank you

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
7 Thorium

Use Windows 10 installation media build 1703 and not Windows 8.0 or Windows 8.1 media which had the issues due to Edition.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos