Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 15th, 2013 03:00

WINDOWS 8 REFRESH OR RESET

You needn’t reinstall Windows 8 to fix a majority of system problems you may face from time to time. Instead, you can utilize the 'Refresh' and 'Reset' option. Both the options are reminiscent to the 'Restore to Factory Default' option in a mobile device. Whereas the 'Refresh' option preserves your files and installed programs; the 'Reset' option deletes them and takes back you PC to the day it was first purchased. So it’s always advisable to 'Refresh' the PC first and keep the 'Reset' option as a last resort.

To choose between these, you need to know about what the actual problem is with your Windows 8 PC.            

How to 'Refresh' or 'Reset':

If your computer is working fine you can access these options from the Windows 8 Control Panel or from the classic Control Panel. Otherwise you can access the same from the boot option menu via the PC Settings.

1 Message

January 18th, 2013 12:00

Do you have any information on how long a Reset will take?

I tried doing a Reset and the PC was on for about 4 hours; the hard disk light was always flashing to show there was activity... I decided to turn it off because 4 hours seemed far too long, but now I am thinking that this is normal.

35 Posts

January 23rd, 2013 02:00

It should take max. 1 hr.

Why is this taking so long, can't say.

1 Message

April 1st, 2013 12:00

Would I have needed to do something special when I set up my PC for the Windows refresh/restore to factory default options to work?  I get a message that it can't be performed and then Windows searches for a solution for a few moments and then that message disappears.

35 Posts

April 2nd, 2013 06:00

Try to do it again in a way as mentioned in first post.

3 Posts

January 17th, 2015 17:00

What is to be done when you try to reset a Dell and an error saying a partition doesn't exist. Booting from a Dell disk and not having any luck or support on this.

No Events found!