Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 4th, 2015 11:00

What will happen to Windows 8.1 ?

After the July update of Windows 10, If 10 is not installed or reserved. Will 8.1 stay the same ? Thanks Chi Ed.

511 Posts

July 6th, 2015 12:00

Apps should work. I think Microsoft would want to avoid the backlash if they stopped supporting apps for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 when the apps are pretty much the same in 10. If you have the upgrade icon in the lower right hand corner, I do recommend reserving your free copy of 10, even though you may not want to migrate right away. I have been running the 10 technical preview for a while now and it has some much needed improvements over Windows 8.

Windows 8 and 8.1 should work exactly the way you purchased, you just may have that pesky upgrade icon if you do not reserve your copy.

511 Posts

July 5th, 2015 07:00

Windows 8.1 should still stay the same, however it may get more aggressive in trying to get you to upgrade to 10.

39 Posts

July 5th, 2015 22:00

I wish I knew what that means? Will Apps start to not work and things like that? It will still be supported I hope! Thanks, ChiEd P.S. That sounds a little scary knowing what MS could do.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 7th, 2015 05:00

For the first few months it should be the same with minor security patches released. I imagine after the first 6 months the update to Windows 10 will be pushed more thoroughly and maybe before the end of the year the update will be made mandatory, similar to how the Windows 8.1 update from Windows 8 is now pushed.

At the end of the year Windows 8 and 8.1 Apps may stop working as Microsoft are likely to stop supporting the OS once the majority of the userbase have migrated. Apps may therefore instruct you to upgrade to Windows 10.

The Insider Preview Build of Windows 10 10162 is very nice and I don't see any reason for sticking to Windows 8.1 once Windows 10 is fully released. Sticking to Windows 7 in some cases may be advisable  for some software compatibility issues.

No Events found!