jmbonilla
1 Copper

Windows 8.1 Sleep/Hibernate Problem After Closing Laptop.

Problem:

After updating to Windows 8.1 my system does not sleep or hibernate anymore. I can shut it down or restart it but if I try closing the laptop so it does to sleep/hibernate mood then it does not turn off. Once I open the laptop it is still on and the screen is black and won´t turn on. Only thing I can do is Force a Shut Down by pressing the power button for couple seconds. 

Problem Started: 

It started when I updated to Winows 8.1 which I updated though my computer. (Windows App Store)

What have I done to try fix it:

-Tried updating my graphic drivers which are up to date.                                                                 - Uninstalled any program that was not being used and was useless ( Advertisement, spam, auto downloaded programs )                                                                                                               - Rebooted Computer.                                                                                                                - PC Checkup from My Dell program. ( all results came back good )                                                   - Malware/Anti-virus scans ( They were both fine )

System Info:

- Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4500U CPU @ 1.80GHz                                                                             - RAM 8gb                                                                                                                               - Windows 8.1 (64bit)                                                                                                                 - Touch Screen                                                                                                                         - Laptop Type Dell Inspiron 5537                                                                                               - BIOS A06                                                      

Graphic Info:

- Intel(R) HD Graphics Family                                                                                                     - Generic PnP Monitor                                                                                                 

AMD Graphic:

- AMD Radeon HD 8800M Series                                                                                                 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
kirkd
5 Rhenium

RE: Windows 8.1 Sleep/Hibernate Problem After Closing Laptop.

Can you put it to sleep using the power selection in the charms bar? My experience with Windows is that the ability to sleep by time-out or by closing the lid on a laptop varies with the updating process. Sometimes it's OK, others not. This is true for my laptops and desktops. I now always manually put them into sleep. Only takes a few seconds more than by closing the lid. I have not found any fix for this issue.

XPS M1530, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Inspiron E1705, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Dimension 9100, Win 10 AU Pro 32 bit
Inspiron 660, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Inspiron 3668, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 CU 32 bit

0 Kudos
kirkd
5 Rhenium

I just went back to check the Advanced Settings in the Power Profiles. Found three settings that were not set right.

1 - Under Wireless, change power savings mode to maximum performance

2 - Under Multimedia, set when sharing media to allow the computer to sleep.

3 - Under Sleep, set allow wake timers to disable.

My I660 will now go beddie-bye all by its self. Perhaps one of the updates changed these, possibly Win 8.1 itself, and I never bothered to check - my bad.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jmbonilla
1 Copper

The only setting I had to change was the multiedia one.

Now when I manually make the computer sleep it actually goes to sleep mode. 

The problem now is that it does not reactivate. I still have to shut it down and turn it back on.

0 Kudos
kirkd
5 Rhenium

Lots of posts on this recovery issue. See this POST and search for more. http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19536458.aspx

0 Kudos
Wiknix
1 Copper

Last night Sleep mode not working in Windows 8. The problem is, when I closed the laptop lid the display off but the computer doesn't Sleep. Solved: Sleep Mode Not Working In Windows 8 And 8.1

Solved: Sleep Mode Not Working In Windows 8 And 8.1

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
armydad77632
1 Copper

My Dell 15r SE 7520 did the same thing when I updated. (Worst mistake I made). I went to the Dell site and updated all of my drivers and BIOS to the ones for Windows 8.1. The device manager did not show any problems, but after I did this it fixed a "thread stuck in device driver" problem and the hibernate problem.

0 Kudos