Highlighted
GEGJr
Silver

Windows 8 Dell touch pad driver

Jump to solution

Is anyone else beside myself annoyed at the Windows 8 Touch Pad driver. The previous driver allowed for edge scrolling but latest version does not have the capability. Why on earth would Synaptics and Dell remove that functionality? I understand for those upgrading to Windows 8 with touch screen capability this is not an issue but what about us who do not have touch screen. In my opinion this is a major flaw. Please let me hear form you if you too are unhappy about the new Windows 8 Touch pad driver. By the way, I tried rolling the driver back but the previous driver causes serious erratic behavior. Below is a screen shot of the version for the newest Windows 8 Touch Pad driver.

GEGJr.

[Poll]

Regards,

GEGJr

-------------------------

XPS12 convertible

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3537 CPU @ 2.10GHz (CPU:0)

RAM 8GB

Model SAMSUNG SSD SM841 mSATA 512GB

----------------------

XPS 8300 64-bit

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz

RAM 32GB

-------------------------

Inspiron Mini 1012 Intel® Atom™single core

L2 cache 512 KB

533 MHz and 667 MHz

0 Kudos
31 Replies

Re: Windows 8 Dell touch pad driver

Jump to solution

George

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Are others noticing the lack of the scrolling feature after updating to A02 of the synaptics driver in Win 8?

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
BarakBY
Copper

Jump to solution

Yes. I have the same problem.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Yes, I am having the same problem. No side scrolling or two finger scrolling. It is a major pain in the you know what!

0 Kudos
azamine
Copper

Jump to solution

The pad is acting crazy in win 8 . and I lost all extra functions like scrolling, zooming .....

0 Kudos
write2me
Copper

Jump to solution

Me too...  My wife is questioning why I chose to "upgrade" to Windows 8 when the touch pad no longer has the scroll function.

Please expedite a Windows 8 driver that includes the scroll function on the touch pad.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hey all.. I found that I was able to fix my issues by going into the Windows.old folder that is created when you upgrade (if you upgraded)  and pull out the controller for the touch pad and re-set all of the scrolling options. My touch pad now works just as it had! 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thank you for offering hope. Would you kindly provide more information about where you found the controller in the Windows.old folder, what it's called, and where you put it after you found it? I'm assuming I'll figure out how to reset the scrolling options from there.

Many thanks!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Unfortunately I deleted my Windows.old folder after importing everything that I needed to free up space on my hard drive. I believe it was in a folder label Dell. If you haven't deleted yours already, search for anything labeled Dell or ALPS. Sorry I can't be of further help.

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
Diamond

Jump to solution

I suggest you all post your exact machine models and if your current driver appears to be Synaptics, Alps, or whatever device make.

Then, we might be able to find a Windows 8 compatible version(s). Often, a touchpad driver will work across various Dell machines (even if not stated in file description).

Also, it sounds like some of you are doing in-place or over-lay Win7 to Win8 upgrades ... these are the kinds of problems that appear. Clean install is better.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Gaming when I'm not programming.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
0 Kudos