Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2012 12:00

Windows 8 Freezes

Hello,

I have Dell Inspiron N5110. I can't upgrade to Windows 8. I have tried to install it for about 10 times, but without success. Sometimes the screen freezes during the installation process, sometimes the process finish successfuly, and the windows screen comes up, everything is working fine, you can go through the metro apps and you can explore the desktop, untill 3-5 mintues passed and then the screen freezes again, and you can't to anything. Also if I click on the network icon on the taskbar to connect to wireless connection it immediately freezes.  I have downloaded all the new drivers for Windows 8 from the Dell Drivers Support website.

Can anyone know what is the problem ?

Here is my system configuration:

System Model:                               Dell Inspiron N5110:
System type:                                  x64-based PC
Processor:                                      Intel Core i7-2670 QM 2.20 GHz, 2201 Mhz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors
BIOS Version/Date:                        Dell Inc. A11, 8/3/2012
Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 6.00 GB
Display:                                           Intel HD Graphics 3000 and nVidia GeForce GT 525M 1GB

2.6K Posts

November 22nd, 2012 12:00

Hi gpsnetto,

The problem could be with the hardware or software of the computer.

To identify the problem please follow the steps in the link: http://dell.to/NQbA8Z

If there are any errors displayed on the screen, please capture the error code and let me know for the next course of action.

Reply for further help.

8 Posts

November 22nd, 2012 13:00

Thank you Nikhil D, I will follow the steps in that link.

By the way, there is no error code displayed, the system totally freezes and stops responding, you can't move the mouse, the hard disk led icon doesn't flash, it's completely freezed until I hold the power button and restart it. And then again when the windows starts up, 2-3 minutes everything is working fine, and then it freezes again. I have runned the Dell Hardware Diagnostic and it says that everything is fine.

The screen freezes randomly. Sometimes it freezes during the installation process, in the "Getting devices ready" section.  It's a rare situation to install the windows successfullly and to get to the windows metro screen. Even if I had a rare chance to get to the windows metro screen, the windows allows me 3-4 minutes to work, and than it freezes again.

November 24th, 2012 02:00

this problem is common with this Dell model and win8 ..... i figured out that it is 100 % related to wifi adapter  .... if you disable the wifi  your laptop will no longer freeze ..... but if you enable wifi it will freeze ... im searching for a solution over internet .... updated drivers .... seems that Dell can not find a solution for this issue ..... by the way im updated to the latest Bios version A11

8 Posts

November 24th, 2012 09:00

THIS PROBLEM / ISSUE ISN"T SOLVED YET !!

DELL SUPPORT, PLEASE FIND A SOLUTION.

THANK YOU!

8 Posts

December 19th, 2012 01:00

I have stopped the microsoft service 'power' and everything is working fine.

No Events found!