Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 30th, 2012 12:00

Windows 8 No more OEM Keys that are the same for All Units. OEM Activation 3.0

To crack down on piracy, manufacturers will be required to write a unique (Encrypted) Windows product key -- which is associated with the hardware hash -- into the system's BIOS instead of using the same product key for every shipped computer.

The new OA system will also require OEMs to supply production reports to Microsoft, detailing their license compliance. A "Genuine Microsoft" label must also be affixed to the chassis, dumping the previous "Windows Certificate of Authenticity" sticker. Unused keys can be returned in real-time without shipping or insurance costs.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 30th, 2012 15:00

Do you know if the product key can be obtained from Belarc Advisor and how the user can use it should they wish to perform a clean installation?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 7th, 2012 14:00

I tried this on a system where I know what the key is.

Belarc Advisor seems to be UNABLE to find the actual key.

There is a new update

Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit (Version 8.3)

I will see if this shows the key or not.

www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Never Never ever tell someone to get this free program from Softtronic or other malware laden sites.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 7th, 2012 14:00

It would also appear that there are no more COA stickers as well.

If I'm wrong about that someone please tell me where to look.

December 30th, 2012 04:00

you can use a utility like the Magical Jelly Bean Key Finder to retrieve it from the installed OS.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 12th, 2013 13:00

I have checked several Magical Jelly Bean executeables and they are pre seeded with malware so I would NEVER recommend them.  Same with Belarc when it doesn't come from the original source.

4 Posts

January 14th, 2013 09:00

What would this mean for a clean install? Is there any way to find the product key or will we be stuck on this step in case of a windows reinstallation?

1 Message

August 28th, 2014 15:00

If you have install media that contains the version of windows 8(.1) that the pc shipped with, it will not even ask for the key. The install will take the Nike approach and "just do it."  That is why there is no COA.

This applies if dell gave you media, to restore usb media you have created, or to any ISO you downloaded from MSDN. Windows 8.1 will even copy the factory restore partition to USB for you. 

If the media does NOT support the one that shipped with the PC, then you will need a bought retail key. Simple.

No Events found!