Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 10th, 2013 13:00

Windows 8 OEm upgrade to 8.1 by direct download

Hi

We got a 17R Inspiron 2 days ago. It is running Windows 8 OEM (no media delivered, product key "injected")

I am having the hardest time finding the 8.1 upgrade (read: I am not finding it at all). I can do whatever I want it is not turning up in the Windows Store.

I did so far:

- Updated all drivers

- Downloaded all updates (including the critical KBxxxx389)

- Reset the Windows Store (Clearing cache)

- Did all compatibility and upgrade checks from microsoft (all passed)

- My Inspiron 17R is compatible with 8.1

- My System supports more than the minimum requirements for 8.1 (Inspiron 5737 17R)

- And yes, I went through the Dell checklist for updating to 8.1

I. AM. SO. DONE!!!

I found articles with a page on the Microsoft site, that lets you upgrade to Windows 8.1 without going to the store. Even downloading an ISO.

I would like to know, if this works with the Windows 8 OEM installation that I have. I can use a 3rd party software to extract the product key, but I am not sure if I can use this alternative method to upgrade to Windows 8.1 with OEM.

IF NOT -  what options do I have with everything I have done? Even resetting the Windows Store does not work.

Thanks for your help!

49 Posts

December 10th, 2013 22:00

I'm not sure if you happened to see the post in the Desktop forum where the following procedure was outlined. However, it did indeed work for others and worked perfectly on both of my XPS 8700s.

1) Uninstall KB2871389 and reboot. 

2) Download the KB2871389 update from Microsoft --> http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40098

3) Install the KB2871389 update manually and reboot.

4) You should now (hopefully) see the 8.1 upgrade in the Windows Store.

15 Posts

December 11th, 2013 21:00

Thank you SO much for this tip!

It fixed it! The update appeared and was installed.

I am really flabberghasted that Dell doesn't put that on their 8.1 upgrade checklist

Thanks again!

December 11th, 2013 22:00

I see the Windows 8.1 Pro update available in Windows Store, but it never fully downloads.  For the past 2 weeks I've tried to download it.  It gets to ~ 45% complete, then stops and starts over.  I've rebooted the pc many times.  Anyone with same frustrations?

2 Posts

December 23rd, 2013 09:00

Thanks so much. I spent 4 days trying to update to Windows 8.1 before I found your tip.

No I can finally see it n the Windows store!

December 23rd, 2013 15:00

At the moment I think you would be better off not upgrading--SERIOUSLY.

If anything goes wrong in the future and you need to repair your system you are asked for your installation or recovery media AND YOU DO NOT HAVE IT FOR 8.1!!!!

You will have to do a reinstall of Windows 8 then update to Win 8.1 then a total reinstall of all software and settings, which is one hell of a task. I have now got to this point on my second (2nd) reinstall.

Microsoft can not help you because the Dell has differences to the retail OS such as the way the OS is activated and Microsoft can not do this. Microsoft Customer Services spent 4 hours trying and admitted failure.

You may also find many of you drivers are unsuitable, look for them on Dell if you have any problems. If you want more info on the OEM problems then just reply to this.

One piece of advice, make sure all your Data is on another partition and backedup.

December 23rd, 2013 16:00

hello John;  ok, good advice.  Yes, please send  more info on the OEM problems

December 24th, 2013 13:00

Hi,

Rather than repeat myself all over the place the following will give you an initial idea of why I say DON'T Do It.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4677/p/19528889/20491555.aspx#20491555

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/amd-graphics-driver-not-working-after-installing/9d28d642-ebae-4723-b9f9-e2f703e8f710 and linked articles.

My original 8.1 upgrade failed in the closing stages with no way to restore anything so it was a total reinstall, my second install seemed OK but after a couple of weeks it took 4 to 5 minutes to shutdown so I ran sfc which found corrupt system files which it was unable to repair, my restore points keep disappearing, refresh or reset your PC requires the 8.1 installation media, only available for a retail version of 8.1. I used Windows 8 32 bit when it first came out and the early trial versions which I expected trouble with and got 8 Pro on special offer, which ran fairly well, but I then upgraded my PC and it came with Dell 64 bit Win 8 which again worked quite well for an early incarnation but 8.1 is a can of worms in the way it was implemented and then for some reason the drivers that were fine in 8 either played up or failed in many instance. That is why I say be sure to use Dell supplied drivers some supplied as part of the upgrade are duff on a Dell. Because Ms expect problems the Customer Service Advisers took control of my machine and worked on it for over 4 hours for free and admitted defeat because of the differences in a Dell OS image and Product Key implementation.

I have now install Win 8 in dual boot mode so I have a workable PC whenever the flakiness of 8.1 causes problems, admittedly not with the full range of software I use: The amount of software is why I keep struggling with 8.1but my Wacom Pen and Touch keeps losing it settings and drivers or just gets disconnect for no reason, Windows Fax and Scan fails to work after a short period ( I use an external Fax Modem) and seems do it differently each time. AMD Radeon Catalyst fails and the latest update for mine via Microsoft Updates crashes my laptop. I now kick myself for re upgrading to Win 8.1 after the first failure. They always used to say never opt for a new OS until after Service Pack 1.

Have a good look at the Windows 8.1 Answers site to get an idea of the problems and then decide. Until the way to fix Win 8.1 problems is truly sorted for OEM users it’s a bit like Russian Roulette, pull the trigger enough times and! But in this instance, use the OS enough.

I like the changes made in 8.1, just hate our situation when problems occur.

6 Posts

April 19th, 2014 08:00

John, What is the workaround for the issue you pointed out? I purchased the computer with 8.0, upgraded to 8.1 online. Is there a way to get a recovery media for 8.1? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks

April 19th, 2014 13:00

Hi vk, I do not know of any way around the problem I faced other than the total reinstall I mentioned. I assume you have a Dell machine? You say your PC had 8.0 preinstalled so you should have a restore partition (hidden, or have they changed that) which will reinstall your machine to the delivered state, but not any software or the 8.1 update you added since. It is possible to create a DVD from the restore media if you wish to safeguard that against HDD failure (. Your best protection against a total reinstall would be to create an image of your OS using appropriate software which will cover any software and updates you have personally installed. My installation of 8.1 failed so I was unable to get to that stage but have since I got a working Win 8.1 I always separate my data ( My Docs, phots etc) from the OS by creating a separate partition for it and always back it up. I notice Dell have made some changes to the way things are done since I bought my laptop. See http://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/19/article/Product-Support/Self-support-Knowledgebase/software-and-downloads/dell-backup-solutions/Dell-Backup-and-Recovery#InstallationandSystemRequirements and also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f17jCKpxcE for a starter Hope this helps

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 19th, 2014 14:00

Microsoft have made Windows 8.0 keys incompatible with Windows 8.1 media during installation. Microsoft have also made Windows 8.0/8.1 product keys hidden within the system BIOS. Finally there is no official means to download Windows 8.1 as a standalone update or as an .iso for an OEM license.

There are however workarounds:

The most difficult part is obtaining the installation media. You can get this if you or a friend have an additional Windows 8.1 retail license by following the instructions here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/download-windows-8-1-iso/

If you don't have a retail key then your only other choice is to look for installation media in unofficial sources as any media procured from Dell will be Windows 8.0 due to Microsoft making Windows 8.0 keys rejected when used with Windows 8.1 media.

Assuming you get the installation media you can install using a generic product key:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/microsoft-product-activation/installation-of-windows-8-1-with-a-windows-8-0-retail-product-key-notes/

Next you will need to obtain your BIOS embedded Windows 8.0 product key:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/microsoft-product-activation/obtaining-your-oem-bios-embedded-slp-product-key-using-rw-everything-oem-only/

Finally you can activate Windows 8.1 using the Window s8.0 key via the change key:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/microsoft-product-activation/product-activation-using-a-windows-8-1-product-key/

April 19th, 2014 15:00

Many thanks for the information NATAKUC, What a pathetic state of affairs when genuine Windows OS holder have to resort to this to get themselves out of a problem. Microsoft really need to think about what they are doing and I personally have lost any respect for the Microsoft when they leave genuine customers in this fix. It's a good job instinct lets them use their arses. I would like to know why Dell have done nothing to help their customers, if they think Win 8.1 is a problem they should tell their customers to think twice before the upgrade, we are their bread and butter!

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 19th, 2014 19:00

I've been warning about these issues since 2011 (the fact that users want a downloadable Windows .iso installation file). I also mentioned the issues of Microsoft not having one for Windows 8.0 on Digital River when it was also released and brought up all the issues again when Windows 8.1 was released and now the additional issues with Windows 8.1 Update 1. I haven't really got any positive feedback from Microsoft. With Dell, Dell are looking into I but can't do anything without Microsoft letting them. The current setup just makes life difficult for the end users. In the meantime my guides have looked into as many workarounds as I can find for these issues.

1 Message

September 14th, 2014 07:00

Hi,

I have a Samsunng ATIV book 9 plus and tried to upgrade windows 8 enterprise to 8.1 and followed the process above to uninstall and re-install KB2871389 but I was unable to upgrade to windows 8.1 and the upgrade did not appear in the store. Please advise if there is another way to do so.

Many thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 14th, 2014 11:00

Hi,

I have a Samsunng ATIV book 9 plus and tried to upgrade windows 8 enterprise to 8.1 and followed the process above to uninstall and re-install KB2871389 but I was unable to upgrade to windows 8.1 and the upgrade did not appear in the store. Please advise if there is another way to do so.

Many thanks

The Enterprise version does not offer the update via the store and there is no way to upgrade without direct installation. You will need to download a Windows 8.1 Enterprise .iso directly:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/evalcenter/hh699156.aspx

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

September 17th, 2014 13:00

You'll need to obtain the 8.1 Enterprise media from the same distribution channel you received 8.0.  The "evaluation" version above has restrictions on its use:

Following the evaluation period, you will need to replace the operating system on your test computer and reinstall all your programs and data. It is not possible to upgrade the evaluation to a licensed working version of Windows 8.1 Enterprise. A clean installation is required.

No Events found!