Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 4th, 2012 07:00

Windows 8 Recovery Disc Not Working???

I have a big issues with making a recovery disc for Windows 8. I am trying to make a recovery disc using the dell system and recovery program that was provided with my operating system. I was able to make the first disc but when asked to insert a second disc I couldn't get it to work. The second disc just keep popping back out. The program does allowed you to do the backup on a USB flash drive but I don't have one so I have not try that yet. Anyone with the same problem please reply back and let me know. My other question is does the Dell drivers and utilities CD contain the media suite essential because I don't want to lose my media player PowerDVD 10 when I reinstalled Windows 8 on a SSD. I did not receive a disc for the PowerDVD program and it was part of the media suite essential.

1.8K Posts

December 4th, 2012 08:00

Hi Noob_101,

I am sorry to hear that the recovery disk creation process fails to create the second disk. Dell Backup and Recovery needs to have the latest updates in order to keep it running efficiently. Please follow the steps provided below to update the software and then create the backup disks only on DVD+R or DVD-R disks:

1. Click on the Dell Backup and Recovery tile to launch the application.
2. Click the “Update” tile.
3. Click “Check Now” to search for and install the latest updates.
4. You can alternatively select the check box next to Automatically Check for Update, to enable the software to check and prompt to install updates when available.

You can create the recovery disk on an USB Flash drive, if it fails on a DVD again. Dell Drivers and Utilities CD do not include the PowerDVD 10. You can download all the software that came pre-installed on your laptop by logging in to “My Dell Downloads” web site from the following link:
http://bit.ly/9sK3DH

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

4 Posts

December 5th, 2012 09:00

I was able to create the recovery media onto a USB flash drive. My other problem is that  I want to install a SSD that I purchase and replace it with the HDD but I can't reinstalled Windows 8 with the recovery media USB flash drive that I made. When I hit the F12 key for the boot menu it did not have a option to boot it from my USB drive. I have the lastest version of the bios which is A11 and it has the UEFI boot setting and the legacy mode setting. I try doing it the legacy mode way but it did not recognize any data from my USB and a error pop out saying Window can not be found or something like that. I am assuming there might be something wrong with the recovery media when it made the backup. I open the USB drive and there is data so is not empty. I'm clueless as to what I can do now because I've reinstalled Windows in other laptops before.

1.8K Posts

December 9th, 2012 15:00

Hi Noob_101,

Thank you for your reply and apologize for the delay in replying to your request.  You have install Windows on the SSD from a Windows 8 installation disk and it would not be possible to install from the recovery media. To boot from the USB, you have set the BIOS to Legacy Mode.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name ‘DELL-Rajath N ’highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide the system’s Service Tag and contact details(including the name on the account) so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message. Please let me know if this helps.

35 Posts

December 31st, 2012 10:00

anyone able to create set of recovery disks on a dell 7720 running windows 8?   only creates 1st disk after that it ejects all other blank dvd-r disks

22 Posts

December 31st, 2012 23:00

See earlier posts on this topic in this forum.  This seems to be an issue with the Dell software.  No response has been forthcoming from them on this issue.

2 Posts

January 1st, 2013 04:00

I can't even create a factory backup on USB drive - the app doesn't show the list of target drives to choose from.

Is there a way to fix this?

I'm using the latest version 1.0.0.2

35 Posts

January 2nd, 2013 14:00

Hello Dell Support

Please read and fix this issue now!

1 Message

January 10th, 2013 03:00

Thanks Dell-Rajath,

I just bought a Dell Inspiron 15R 5520 (i3), The first thing I tried was to create the Factory Backup disks on DVD but found the first disk would be created but then all other blank DVD's inserted would get ejected. I tried to update the Dell Backup and Recovery as recommended above and found I had the most uptodate version already.

I checked my Windows updates and found I had 29 important updates to download and install which I did. This took over an hour.  Afterwards the Dell Backup and Recovery worked and I have now created a set of recovery disks on 4 DVDs.

Again thanks for your advice above - it worked for me.

11 Posts

January 10th, 2013 04:00

Just wanted to confirm that the Win 8 reinstall from these recovery disks can be made to a disk that is smaller than the original? I have an XPS 8500 with 2TB drive and I'd like to put OS on a new smaller SSD or HD.

Thanks.

35 Posts

January 10th, 2013 11:00

Unable to create recovery disks with Windows 8 on Dell 7720

35 Posts

January 10th, 2013 11:00

I have not gotten an answer from no one, I have installed the windows updates but still have same issue

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 13th, 2013 05:00

I have not gotten an answer from no one, I have installed the windows updates but still have same issue

Uninstalling McAfee and disabling the wireless/bluetooth has worked for several people who have got into similar problems.

35 Posts

January 13th, 2013 12:00

I have done this and still have had no luck.  any other suggestions?

35 Posts

January 13th, 2013 12:00

I have done this and still have had no luck.  any other suggestions?

January 20th, 2013 05:00

it doesn't even detect my usb drive. and when i insert blank it says burning agent crashed, please restart.

No Events found!