Windows 8

Last reply by 11-04-2012 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Windows 8 Upgrade

Can I upgrade my XPS L501x to Windows 8? Will the drivers support?  

I tried Windows upgrade assistant and it showed me that only the Bluetooth drivers are not supported. Will there be any problem if if still upgrade my system to Windows 8?

Replies (6)
3 Argentum

I tried Windows upgrade assistant and it showed me that only the Bluetooth drivers are not supported. Will there be any problem if if still upgrade my system to Windows 8?

How often do you use Bluetooth?

When did you buy your XPS L501x? In which year did this model appear on the market?

7 Plutonium

If you want to install Windows 8 uninstall the bluetooth driver.

Upgrade and then attempt installation this driver: For systems with Dell Bluetooth 355, 360, 365, 370, 375 and 380. Use the Bluetooth 380 Driver here: http://ftp1.dell.com/folder00865420m/1/ 

If it doesn't work you will need to install the Windows 7 driver in compatibility mode. Post back letting me know how you get along as this is useful information.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
3 Argentum

If you want to install Windows 8 uninstall the bluetooth driver.

If I understood the meaning of the original post correctly, the OP still hasn't decided whether to upgrade to Windows 8.

He would do well to consider whether he uses Bluetooth frequently before upgrading.

Upgrade and then attempt installation this driver:

On a different note, the product key for the Windows 8 upgrade version can be used on a clean install of the said software. This is a radical departure for Microsoft. Users of Windows 7 and earlier versions cannot perform clean installs with product keys meant for upgrades.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I do use use Bluetooth very frequently. In fact I have a speaker system which i connect it via Bluetooth.

But yes before going further, I bought the system on Jan 6th 2010. I dual booted my XPS L501x with Windows 8 Release Preview. I used it for 2 months. Except few, everything worked fine. When I contacted Dell, the rep said L501x series was not supported coz it wasn't tested yet and there are no updates posted for this series till now.

Problems that I've were mostly with Bluetooth Drivers and Intel Wireless Display Drives.

But I guess, everything will work fine.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

@natakuc4: Heyy Man.... yes it worked with 380!! Thank You so much.

The link you posted was not working but i searched for those drivers manually and it started working. Initially the system was not responding when but later there were no issues.

7 Plutonium

@natakuc4: Heyy Man.... yes it worked with 380!! Thank You so much.

The link you posted was not working but i searched for those drivers manually and it started working. Initially the system was not responding when but later there were no issues.

Great the download link didn't work, it seems to be fine for me but Dell are having issues? Where did you get the driver?

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
Latest Solutions
Top Contributor