Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 7th, 2013 15:00

XPS 15Z Windows 8 Unknown Device located on PCI Express Root Complex

Hi, I have a Dell XPS 15Z, which I bought off a friend. They recently updated to Windows 8 and so now thats what I have. But when i go into my drivers its telling me that i have an unknown driver. no solutions online have answered my questions though some came close. So, this is what i know:

Unknown Device

Device Type: Other devices

Manufacturer: Unknown

Hardware Ids:

ACPI\VEN_SMO&DEV_8800

ACPI\SMO8800

*SMO8800

i don't know if this is related but my laptop also wont charge. I just bought a new AC Adapter to replace the one i had, and it still isn't charging. The light blinks red 4-5 times and blue/green once. ive searched online to see what the problem is but i cannot do some of the fixes as the computer is at 0% battery.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 9th, 2013 00:00

November 8th, 2013 23:00

You can try to run Diagnostics first to check if there is a hardware failure to your computer

Steps

1.Turn off your Laptop

2. Turn it back on but as soon as you press the power button keep tapping or hitting F12  you will see  a black screen saying advanced boot option

5. Choose the option that says " Diagnostics"

That will check if you have hardware failure or not it will provide error code , once it does

Post the error code here

3 Posts

February 20th, 2014 12:00

Wow! 2 out of 2 problems fixed.  this has got to be the best experience I'v ever had with Dell community.  You are the bomb....Thanks and btw. The link: http://downloads-us.dell.com/FOLDER01687839M/2/FreeFallSensor_ST%20Microelectronics_W814_A00_setup-FMMHJ_ZPE.exe worked and updated it.  Thanks

11 Posts

August 5th, 2015 11:00

Very Thanks. It is fix my unknown device issue!

1 Message

October 13th, 2015 10:00

I have the same problem with Windows10 64bit on my XPS15Z. I tried to instal the driver for Win 8.1 but I got answer "unsupported op system".

The other problem is that after instslling Win10 the EJECT CD key stopped to work.

InsekC

13 Posts

March 2nd, 2017 17:00

Thank you for your sharing your insights.   I recently had to reinstall W10 on my Alienware18r3 and discovered the same missing drivers -  1) ACPI and 2) PCI Express Drivers -   will the W8.1 driver mentioned in this thread work on Win10?   Currently Windows can not update the driver and this situation also occurred when upgrading from W8 to W10 and I was unable to fix the situation until MS released a major OS update to W10 -  Question again -  can I use the FreefallSenor driver for W8.1 on W10?

thank you in advance.

No Events found!