Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

2 Posts

May 17th, 2018 19:00

XPS 8700, how to boot to Windows 8?

Replaced my motherboard (bought online eBay, matching part#'s) and all four sticks of ram (4GB DDR3L). Ran ePSA tests and says all passed. But how do I get it to boot from bios to Windows 8?

Thanks for anyone with any help

• 

16.7K Posts

May 18th, 2018 06:00

DeStinkas,

UEFI

The XPS™ 8700 is offered with UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface). It is a specification detailing an interface that helps hand off control of the system for the pre-boot environment (i.e.: after the system is powered on, but before the operating system starts) to an operating system, such as Windows or Linux.

UEFI provides a clean interface between operating systems and platform firmware at boot time, and supports an architecture-independent mechanism for initializing add-in cards.

A NOTE indicates important information that helps you make better use of your computer. NOTE:

The default Boot Mode is set to UEFI and the operating system is installed in the UEFI Mode from the factory. The System will display the following error if the Operating System was installed in UEFI Mode and the Boot Mode has been changed to Legacy or Vice Versa.

Image: No Boot error message due to wrong Boot Mode.

To correct this error, The user needs to change the Boot Mode in the System Setup from Legacy to UEFI Mode.

Changing the Boot Mode in System Setup to UEFI

Restart / Power on your computer.

At the first text on the screen or when the Dell™ logo appears, tap <F2> until the message Entering Setup appears.

Boot Mode will be listed under Boot.

Image: Boot Menu in System Setup.

Select UEFI using the arrow keys to navigate and press enter.

Save and Exit the System Setup.

How to install windows in UEFI Mode?

Installing Windows in UEFI Mode

Restart / Power on your computer.

At the first text on the screen or when the Dell™ logo appears, tap until the message Entering Setup appears.

Boot Mode will be listed under Boot -> Boot Priority.

Select UEFI using the arrow keys to navigate and press enter.

Set the Boot Priority to CD/DVD as the 1st Boot Device. Save and Exit the System Setup.

Reinstall Windows as normal.

Does UEFI completely replace a PC BIOS?

No. While UEFI uses a different interface for "boot services" and "runtime services", some platform firmware must perform the functions BIOS uses for system configuration (a.k.a. "Power On Self Test" or "POST") and Setup. UEFI does not specify how POST & Setup are implemented.

* For my notes, send me via Private Message the Service tag number,Your name, address, phone number and email address
* Go to the top of this thread
* Click the Envelope
* Click the blue "New Message" box
* Paste my name DELL-Jesse L into the "Send to" blank
* Click my icon. My name should now be listed in the "Send to" blank
* Message Subject =
* Message Body =

2 Posts

May 20th, 2018 16:00

ok ,I think I did the envelope thing right , service tag and xpress codes sent , thanks Jesse.

No Events found!