Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

January 5th, 2013 09:00

XPS One 27 won't boot after A09 BIOS update

Yesterday, My Dell Support Center notified me that a BIOS upgrade was available. There were no warnings whatsoever, so I decided: newer is better.

Soon I found out what a BIOS-newbie I really am.

After the update, instead of booting into Windows 8, the Automatic Repair screen started loading. After a manual reboot into the F12-menu, I succeeded in restoring factory defaults (F9), savind (F10) and rebooting. This time, it reboots into Windows 8 and everything seems fine.

However, none of the Windows 8-apps on the Start screen work. They all crash before starting and the Store cannot update my Apps because it 'has no Internet connection', which is absolutely untrue.

After retrying the A09 BIOS-update (message: this version is the same as or older than your current BIOS), and setting msconfig.exe to boot in Diagnostic startup, I reboot again. This time, it does not end well.

My previous workaround doens't do the trick anymore. It boots into Windows 8, but the login screen remains empty. I cannot login, nor can I access msconfig.

The Automatic Repair functions all fail me: I cannot Refresh my Windows, nor can I do a System Restore ('To use System Restore, you must specify which Windows installation to restore. Restart this cmoputer, select an operating system and then select System Restore.'), nor does 'Automatic Repair' offer a solution (see above).

Also, the F12-screen sometimes doesn't recognize my HDD drive as a possible Hard Disk boot drive. Switching in F12 to ATA of AHCI hasn't helped either. When I use the Configuration Utility when booting (Ctrl+I), it says that my RAID ID 1: Cache_Dev (RAID0) Status is normal, but 'Bootable' states: 'No'. I presume this wasn't there before, because I believe to have booted from this volume since I purchased my Dell.

Booting SLAX from my external HD hasn't worked so far.

In short: my XPS One 27 is now useless, and I have absolutely no idea how to fix this, nor how to retrieve some data and documents I would really like to save.

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

2 Posts

January 5th, 2013 11:00

I am running into the same exact issues with my XPS 27. Seems like this bios update wasn't meant for this system. Following this thread now to see if there are solutions.

2 Posts

January 5th, 2013 11:00

Ok, found a solution that works: en.community.dell.com/.../20260259.aspx

Just need to go into BIOS and reset to default settings. Works fine then. What a horrible update from Dell.

4 Posts

January 5th, 2013 14:00

same problem for me as ddescribed above

January 8th, 2013 11:00

Check your raid configuration if it is set to raid 0.  If you have a ssd drive and use this as caching drive, then dell has configured it in a raid 0 configuration.   If you cannot find it, you can always set your bios to factory default. This will set the raid config to the right parameters. So no need for motherboard replacement or shipping it back to dell

1 Message

January 9th, 2013 09:00

If an SSD is present in your XPS 27 then the BIOS update likely switch the from RAID to AHCI mode.

Resolution:

* Power on the system

* Press F2 to enter BIOS setup menu

* Go to the Advanced page

* Choose Onboard Device Configuration

* Enter SATA Mode to change the mode from AHCI to RAID

* Press F10 Save and Exit

2 Posts

January 9th, 2013 13:00

Motherboard fried !!!  Dell will replace. Fail !!

No Events found!