Philip_Yip
5 Iridium

RE: windows 8.1 recovery problem and install dell backup and recovery software...

Jump to solution

Hi, I have the "Factorysetup error 5", I already uninstall the Dell Backup and Recovery from my system and now I have this issue, its mean now I can not access to the back up and recovery.

I am trying to install the Dall Backup and Recovery 1.7.5.64 in my:

All in One
XPS One 2710
Service Tag:

You have a Windows 8 system probably just Windows 8 and not Windows 8 Single Language. Check to confirm in system and clean install Windows 8.1 with Update 1: 

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-w...

Heres your original system configuration:

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
alex882552
1 Copper

RE: windows 8.1 recovery problem and install dell backup and recovery software...

Jump to solution

OK, thanks for the information I found the windows ISO,

but how can I install Dell Backup and Recovery 1.7.5.64 or other version?, is not working now and is not possible to install.

Best regards, 

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

The factory error 5 means that your recovery partition is corrupt or that your partitions have been resized. Dell Backup and Recovery will not work on this installation.

Now that you have the .iso you want to use it to clean install. Before clean installation, use DISKPART CLEAN ALL or another utility to clean the drive see here for details:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/cleaning-up-a-drive-format-vs-secure-wipe-ssd-and-hdd/

Then clean install:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/a-clean-install-of-windows-8-1/...

You may want to setup things up with a local account*.

Once you have clean installed Windows and installed all the system drivers.

Install the latest version of Dell Backup and Recovery version 1.8.1.71:

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER02909509M/1/Backup-and-Recovery_Application_64M9D_WN32_1.8.1.71_A00....

This will make a new recovery partition from your clean installation.

* This will mean your factory settings have a local account and don't store your Microsoft Account details. You can switch to a Microsoft Account later if you wish.

Dr Philip Yip

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
alex882552
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks a lot,

You are right, I resized the partitions, I will make a manual back up before re-install everything.

Just one more, if I re-install windows, Its will keep the partitions? if not may I resized again and will work the Backup and Recovery?

Regards

0 Kudos
Bill Alsip
2 Iron

Jump to solution

NATAKUC4, I have exactly  the same problem where I see 3 recovery partitions of 500MB, 350MB, 13.99GB and get same ERROR 5.  I have a Dell Inspiron 17R 7720 SE with mSata that has been fantastic since BIOS A16,  I never tried a backup since updating from Win8.0 to 8.1 until today and it just hung.  So I tried to update DBR and got the ERROR 5.  When I Googled  up the error it could not find file "dbr.exe" which really was  missing in my  program folder although there was other files like "dbr.exe.log".  It seemed to abort at that point of installing? Annoying, but not something that I would reload the PC from scratch such that it will take weeks to bring ap software  up to date where I like. Here is the relevant portion of error log:  

Vendor Software Return Code: 2147753984
[04/28/15 18:24:13] logo.png
[04/28/15 18:24:13] (MUPXMLParser::GetResultName): *** Vendor Return Code is not found in Mup.xml
[04/28/15 18:24:13] Name of Exit Code:
[04/28/15 18:24:13] (DupAPI::GetReturnCode): *** Unable to find DUP value for:
[04/28/15 18:24:13] Exit Code set to: 1 (0x1)
[04/28/15 18:24:13] Result: FAILURE
[04/28/15 18:24:27] Open file: C:\ProgramData\Dell\UpdatePackage\Log\Backup-and-Recovery_Application_64M9D_WN32_1.8.1.71_A00.txt

I have a couple of questions:

1) Can I merge the three  recovery partitions into one that will make the DBR  installer happy? It is pretty easy with Partion Master(free edition)

2) Is the contents of the recovery partition initialized by the factory and modified as user software is installed or is it totally static forever from the factory. 

3) If the recovery partition is factory static can we rebuild it without starting an install from Day 0 to make a DBR install happy?

For the last three years I have been cloning my hard drive rather than using DBR. I went out and bought an identical 1TB HD and cloned it via a bootable(legacy) cloning  DVD created on Partition Master(free edition). The beauty is that the OS and all data is bit for bit identical in one 13 hour clone. My mSATA has corrupted the HD twice in 3 years but it only took 20 minutes to swap hard drives and update the user files on WiFi from my other PC. The 7720 has two HD slots in the motherboard so I can copy twice as fast (3 Gb/sec)through the PCI bus rather than slower USB.  ISRT acceleration has to be off when swapping or it will complain with a BIOS popup due to mSATA RAID 0 mismatch. Two system drives are not allowed  on the 7720 so the spare needs to be disconnected before changing BIOS from Legacy to UEFI or they can both be corrupted!

Thanks, Bill

0 Kudos
Kvines
1 Copper

Jump to solution

We purchased the upgrade 11.12.14 on an inspiron 660s and have been  *UCKED by dell support after escalation to tier 2 and then engineering... no callbacks when scheduled... Now that I've found this blof... and HOW MANY DAYS we've tried to make it work... I tried to do a repair on the software today and it uninstalled... now can't get it to reinstall... have had to manually run as I discovered the "everyday at 5:45 pm hadn't run for 6 days... "  and now that I've gone into the forum and seen how EVVERYBODY has the same problems...SOMEONE needs to file a action *** action suit for FRAUD!

0 Kudos
kirkd
4 Ruthenium

Jump to solution

This post will disappear shortly because of the not so disguised vulgarity. If you really need help, repost on you own and clearly state the problem. You have hijacked someone else's problem which is frowned upon. Many will ignore you when you do this, as it complicates the situation.

XPS M1530, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Inspiron E1705, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Dimension 9100, Win 10 AU Pro 32 bit
Inspiron 660, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Inspiron 3668, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 CU 32 bit

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

NATAKUC4, I have exactly  the same problem where I see 3 recovery partitions of 500MB, 350MB, 13.99GB and get same ERROR 5.  I have a Dell Inspiron 17R 7720 SE with mSata that has been fantastic since BIOS A16,  I never tried a backup since updating from Win8.0 to 8.1 until today and it just hung. 

For the last three years I have been cloning my hard drive rather than using DBR. I went out and bought an identical 1TB HD and cloned it via a bootable(legacy) cloning  DVD created on Partition Master(free edition). The beauty is that the OS and all data is bit for bit identical in one 13 hour clone. My mSATA has corrupted the HD twice in 3 years but it only took 20 minutes to swap hard drives and update the user files on WiFi from my other PC. The 7720 has two HD slots in the motherboard so I can copy twice as fast (3 Gb/sec)through the PCI bus rather than slower USB.  ISRT acceleration has to be off when swapping or it will complain with a BIOS popup due to mSATA RAID 0 mismatch. Two system drives are not allowed  on the 7720 so the spare needs to be disconnected before changing BIOS from Legacy to UEFI or they can both be corrupted!

Use of the third party cloning software to restore Windows has likely given you the factory error 5 (it has probably changed partition sizes slightly). The update from Windows 8.0 to Windows 8.1 via the buggy distribution of the Microsoft Store sometimes also causes problems with Dell Backup and Recovery.

1. No that will make things far worse and most likely prevent your system from booting.

2. It should be static, as mentioned though it does not appear to like the use of third party programs which alter partition sizes or restore.

3. No. You can only rebuild it if you made the recovery media when you got your system and restore from it which will give you day 0 "factory settings". You can make a new recovery partition if you clean install Windows. You can download the Windows 8.1 with Update 1 .iso to clean install. If going down the route of a clean install, I'd remove the mSATA cache drive and insert a mSATA 256-512 GB mSATA cache drive and make a boot drive to directly install Windows 8.1 with Update 1 on.

Dr Philip Yip

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Kvines
1 Copper

Jump to solution

We haven't hijacked anybody's problem. We happened to find through web searches... and share their misfortune of unfortunately purchasing DEFCTIVE software from Dell...although Cleverbridge seems to actually be the 3rd party vendor for whom DELL takes NO responsibility for their programming errors when selling as a DELL product and service. We have been trying since 11/12/2014 to make this work. This is almost MAY 2015.  We have scheduled times for your engineering team to call back and then waited 1-2 hours past that time with employee's on overtime pay, WAITING AND WAITING. THEN you (Dell) have the AUDACITY to say the case is closed because we weren't available when your technicians call hours and days later... We're tired of trying to make your system work with software you either can't or won't stand behind and it isn't worth the time and effort when it becomes clear this is not a unique problem or uncommon and SYSTEMIC FAILURE ON THE PART OF DELL in their use of defective software and vendors to resolve an issue for over several years!

0 Kudos
Bill Alsip
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Thanks Philip for your prompt reply. 

I know that the fault cause is not  due to Partition Master (PM) since I have never used it on the 7720 operating drive.  I only use Partition Master on a non UEFI  computer (Win 7) I have to merge all partitions back into one before doing a quick format on a separate Win 7 laptop I have.  I then  clone  the Dell 17R 7720 system HD onto the clean reformatted single partition spare  drive in Legacy mode using the ISO cloning software  DVD created by PM (using "Advanced" + "Bootable Disk" to create). I know the clone is bit for bit identical since it is verified by the software.  The only difference is the drive serial number which is only important to the mSATA software in the BIOS OpRom pop-up (caused by the Intel I/O Hub Controller chip) to check for drive swaps in case Intel ISRT acceleration was not turned off.  Works flawlessly probably six times now that I have cloned since purchase. I am a retired EE in hardware and software design that is pretty confident  "3rd party software" has nothing to do with my problem!

Basically, what I am hearing is that it is impossible to fix this problem without reinstalling the complete system which can take weeks which I am not willing to do.  My factory install disks are Win 8.0 so I have the extra step of migrating to Win 8.1 which  may still contaminate DB&R. I would not even try until some user posts on here that it worked for them. Cloning is my only backup alternative to avoid wasting all that time.  Obviously, Dell did not do proper testing of DB&R compatibility with Win8.1 before it was released!  In my opinion,  Dell should create a utility that  automatically rebuilds and creates the correct Recovery Partition for Win 8.1, without installing Win 8.1 from scratch, since there are so many users that got caught on this problem! There are a lot of unhappy customers that bought their Dell with Win 8.0 and upgraded to Win 8.1 and have yet to discover why DB&R hangs. I would be surprised if anyone has a Dell computer that has a working DB&R that also migrated from Win 8.0 to Win 8.1.  I invite them to post here so we can find out. 

I can live with this but at least I know the root problem cause now.  Regardless, I  love the performance of this computer and Dell supported me very well through all the BIOS problems I had in the past until BIOS A16.

Thank you again for  helping as I know you are extremely knowledgeable  on this stuff and you have documented some great fixes  on this site that are well appreciated!

Addendum 30Apr15: Philip: I found this link that states many users are finding the Recovery Partition is not properly registered when upgrading Win 8.0 to Win8.1 because of varying  OEM setups.  This solution looks promising but I would not try it with out a 2nd updated cloned drive beside me  and your evaluation. The more I study it the better it looks! I assume the Dell Recovery drive image is the same as the MS Win 8.1 Recovery  drive image but easier to invoke as a Dell DB&R package?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithmayer/archive/2013/11/06/windows-8-1-unable-to-quot-copy-recovery-pa...

I cloned the drive 30-Apr-2015 and am running on spare with the original as backup on the table if you think it is worth a try.  Took 6.6 hours to clone 1TB drive.

Bill