Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 28th, 2013 22:00

windows 8.1 recovery problem and install dell backup and recovery software...

i had upgrade my windows to 8.1, the problem is that i cant install Dell backup & recovery, when i installing and updating PE I get FACTORY SETUP ERROR 5

is there any technical help me please...thx

however...its cant recovery or reset my laptop back to factory image...

http://en.community.dell.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/3518/1423.zzzzzz-pichunter_2800_342_2900_.jpg

just like this photo...

recovery cant... refresh also cant...

August 27th, 2015 08:00

Hi Dell, I have followed the same procedure, but as you said DBaR asks me to upgrade to premium to create a factory recover media, well my question is: Dell will realese DBaR for Windows 10 for free, or it'll be only a paid feature?

4 Posts

September 30th, 2015 17:00

Hello Dave, 

have the same problem installing DBaR after I downloaded the lastest verion today from german site. 

My computer is a Inspiron 15R SE (7520, Mid 2010) (1) Service Tag : 63VPGW1 actual OS Win 8.1

Now one month after last post, any news how to solve the problem? How can I make recovery disk before upgrading to Win 10?

I will appreciate your help. 

Samuel

255 Posts

September 30th, 2015 19:00

Please tell me what version of DBaR is currently installed (Control Panel-->Programs).

Thank You,

2 Posts

October 2nd, 2015 00:00

I have the same problem.

Recently I updated my PC from windows 8.1 to windows 10.After almost a month I returned back to windows 8.1 from windows 10.

When I tried to install dell backup and recovery (Backup-and-Recovery_Application_64M9D_WN32_1.8.1.71_A00) I got factory error 5.

I cannot refresh my PC from windows also. I am getting the error “could not find the recovery environment”.

Now in command prompt

1. reagentc/info

2. reagentc/enable

3. Exit and reboot.

After the reboot I tried to install dell backup and recovery again. Then also I got the same “factory setup error 5”.

Then I checked the reagent/info in command prompt after reboot. It shows it is disabled.

Please help me.

Thank you

8 Posts

October 3rd, 2015 07:00

All - I still have this issue - I'm starting to look at alternate solutions.

2 Posts

October 4th, 2015 08:00

Hi David,

I added you as a friend and am committed to helping you solve the issue (at least on my machine) if you are :) Hopefully the chain of events can help you to help others.

My Story -

Got the system back in July 2015 - Made factory image

Went to windows 10.

Came back to 8.1 from factory image (full wipe)

Running about 2 weeks on 8.1, DBAR tells me i **MUST** upgrade DBAR before upgrading to W10 (Not the premium upsell) - I click start, it starts installing, does the download and gets to about 50% and fails due to (recalling from memory here - so apologies if it's not exact) - "Unable to read file / Unable to access file path"

I uninstall app, Redownload from support site reboot a couple times between these steps and then attempt to reinstall. - Right click on app run as admin  Gets to Update PE Environment step and fails @ 0% with the Factory Install failure 5

8 Posts

October 4th, 2015 11:00

Defjab,

I'm running Win7, but have the exact same problem.  I'm currently traveling and don't have access to my machine, but in about 30 days when I get home I'll reconnect in an effort to solve this problem.

Thanks

Dave S

92 Posts

October 4th, 2015 13:00

I was the person that stumbled across this fix in this thread May 1, 2015.  The only thing I can see wrong is that you did not leave a space between "reagentc"  and "/enable".  I f that does not work then look at the actual disk space taken up by  the recovery partition to make sure it is roughly correct size.  You can RUN "diskmgmt.msc"  or just type it in an elevated command prompt to see the size pictogram of all disk partitions. Mine was about 13.99 GB  for Recovery Partition which was about right  space to have DB&R store an image on a 16GB USB stick with room to spare. You will see other partitions for OS and vendor diagnostics and perhaps even unused left over(from previous OS upgrades)  partitions that are "unallocated".  Have a look at my image  on Page 6 of this thread for May 1, 2015. Personally, I also keep a spare 1 TB hard drive with a cloned image of my installed operating hard drive so that I can just drop it in when problems occur. All the user program images are there and only my data files need updating off  backup copy from one of my other networked computers. Just never have two OS drives connected (even via USB hard  drive) to the computer simultaneously while running Windows as Win 8.0 and Win8.1, as   in my Dell 17r 7720 SE with mSATA  or OS will get mixed up and corrupt both drives. I make the clone outside of Win 8.1 with "legacy boot" (in the BIOS setup) so that the two drives can be connected simultaneously while cloning    with 3rd party software that is free. This way I can be operational within about 1 to two hours in case of a disk failure or problem with OS upgrade. The thing to remember through all of this is that Microsoft has a procedure for making a "recovery image" but it does not include the Dell diagnostics built directly into the BIOS  and other partitions specifically employed by Dell for your model computer. So you would be missing lots of functionality in event of a catastrophe using the only the Microsoft OS version. You need Dell DB&R if not using cloned drives.

Addendum1: Your /info is pointing to Partition 8 as the Recovery Partition.  Make sure the size 13.99 GB (or about) Recovery Partition   matches the 8th partition in the Disk Management image above. There is an option in command "reagentc"  to alter this partition number pointer called "/setreimage" but make sure you are technically comfortable with this or get help with a Dell people above such as "Terry" or "David" as I do not want to get you into more problems. Read the "help" text on this command by typing "reagentc  /setreimage  /?". I was the 7th partition but this may vary by Dell computer  model and user update history.  Going from Win 8.0 to Win 8.1   or Win8.1 to Win 10 can mess this pointer up as Microsoft has no idea what partitions Dell has used and are "vendor specific". In Summary: I hope this addendum explains why the "reagentc /enable" command worked for me but does not work for all others. You may have to use the "reagentc /setreimage " command to set the Recovery Partition pointer to the proper DB&R partition, i.e. it may change from partition 7 to partition 8 when updating from Win8.1 to Win 10 as in the example above. A little investigation and this one additional command step should fix it,  Please post if this works for you!!

Addenum 2:  When invoking "diskmgmt.msc" to identify the 13.99 GB (or about) recovery partition number, count from left to right 1,2,3...... etc   but do  include any "unallocated partitions" in the count.

255 Posts

October 8th, 2015 15:00

Working on it.  Thanks for the info.

255 Posts

I have downloaded your doc and will get it over to engineering.

Thanks,

255 Posts

Thanks!  I'll respond to your private message.

5 Posts

October 9th, 2015 11:00

Well...it doesnt work for me.

I've uninstalled everything as you mentioned above...I tried again & again...but the Error 5 rulez

3 Posts

October 15th, 2015 22:00

Thanks for the ideas even i was struggling for the same problem, But as if now it been resolved tel me one thing what if we use any software for taking backup recovery like for example we take backup from "Ahsay backup" software and then from that only we take recovery also, Please suggest.

10 Posts

November 11th, 2015 11:00

I'm also having this problem with Win7 SP1 on my Inspiron 1545 and DBaR-1.9.0.22. I'm in New Jersey, and would be happy to have an engineer remote into my system. I've also tried the "reagentc /enable", and it appears the "Windows RE enabled:" was already set to 1.

I'm a relatively technical user. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

92 Posts

December 4th, 2015 13:00

Does it show the media drive plus size available as a sort of  greyed out  rectangular  box?  You have to click on that box to make the CONTINUE pick become active.  I have caught myself forgetting this should more than six months pass.The user interface is not exactly tested out on an outsider user.  Developers get so wrapped up in the technical aspects and get so familiar testing it,   they forget about a newbie.

No Events found!