Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 10th, 2010 11:00

25-Character Product Key

I just recently purchased a Dell Studio. Microsoft 7 Home Premium was preinstalled. I have a reinstallation DVD. When I open Microsoft Office, it asks me for the  25-Character Product Key . I enter the key that is on the COA on my computer but it states it is invalid. I searched the system through Belarc and a different product key is showing through their advisor. This code does not work either.

Since the product was preinstalled at Dell, do I need the  25-Character Product Key. If not, then how do I keep the system from asking me for this everytime I open Word.

Thanks - Karen

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 10th, 2010 11:00

The COA on the system is for Windows, not for Office.  The Product Key for Office is on the envelope or case with the reinstall CD for Office.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 11th, 2010 05:00

Is this a full version of Office that you purchased with the PC (paid extra for) or is this just the free Trial version that comes with many PC's?  If it is the Trial Version, you will have to purchase Office (through Microsoft) in order to get the product key.

However, as mentioned Office has it's own product key.  Dell does not keep records of Office product keys so they cannot provide you with the key.  However if you are within 30 days of purchase Dell will take care of any missing software (discs) and if that is the case will provide you with a new copy and product key.  If it's past 30 days it's past the initial software warranty and usually they will not do anything for customers.

October 12th, 2011 17:00

The pre-loaded version of Microsoft Office that you get along with your dell pc is a starter version. The first time you open office tools it will show three options, 1. Already purchased, 2. Buy online, 3. User Starter version. You have to choose starter version unless you wish to pay for it. Starter version includes only word and excel starter editions for basic purposes.

3.7K Posts

October 14th, 2011 09:00

I just recently purchased a Dell Studio. Microsoft 7 Home Premium was preinstalled. I have a reinstallation DVD. When I open Microsoft Office, it asks me for the  25-Character Product Key . I enter the key that is on the COA on my computer but it states it is invalid. I searched the system through Belarc and a different product key is showing through their advisor. This code does not work either.

Since the product was preinstalled at Dell, do I need the  25-Character Product Key. If not, then how do I keep the system from asking me for this everytime I open Word.

Thanks - Karen

Hi Karen, That sounds like you have Office Starter, it replaced Works, and is not the full Office version. You can use it without putting in the product key.

1 Message

November 23rd, 2011 01:00

I just got a laptop for my birthday, and it came with the 2007 version of Word already on it. You have to buy a license for Microsoft Office -- which, since you already have the programs on your disk -- amounts to buying the product key and a backup disk.

1 Message

December 17th, 2011 04:00

Dell windows7 product key

2 Posts

August 12th, 2012 03:00

tell me product key

2 Posts

August 12th, 2012 03:00

dell inspiron 50-50 -product key?

3.7K Posts

August 12th, 2012 06:00

Start you own thread, this thread is too old, and I am locking it.

No Events found!