Highlighted
knot oft en
2 Iron

32 bit or any other for XP service pack 2

I have seen Internet Explorer 8 offered on the internet. As a system requirement it says 32 bit. How do I know if Iam XP "32" bit service pack 2? When I go to system in control panel, it just says "XP service pack 2", not saying anything about bits.

Thanks

knot

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
7- Thorium

Re: 32 bit or any other for XP service pack 2

If you have the standard XP that was supplied by Dell with your PC then it is 32 bit.  There is also a 64 bit version but you would have to buy the XP 64 bit version and then do a complete reinstallation. 

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
onlyjammer11
2 Bronze

To check (but sure your using 32bit xp)

1. Go to start

2. control panel

3. if not already switch to classic view (on the left side of screen)

4. click on system

and that should tell you if you have xp 32bit or 64bit.

0 Kudos
knot oft en
2 Iron

OK I went to Dell and they told me how to find out. Do you have an idea about whether IE8 is worth installing. I don't have a problem with IE6.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
knot oft en
2 Iron

It is 32 bit, so it's compatible with IE8. In the past when I upgraded to IE7 from IE6, I didn't like the new appearance and reverted.

0 Kudos
RobinBredin
5 Tungsten

Hi knot oft en, i prefer IE8 to IE7, however, firefox HERE is better.

If my answer Was helpful?  Please let me know by clicking on the 'Did this answer your question' and clicking on the Yes button.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

I.E.8 seems to load a little faster than I.E.7.  I.E.8 is now the "current" version from Microsoft.  It has some items similar to FireFox such as the "Delete Browsing History" and several other updates. 

Telling someone to use Firefox is off subject.  You may like Firefox but the subject of this thread is referencing 32 bit OS and I.E.8. 

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
knot oft en
2 Iron

Thanks for reply, I'll stay with the IE7.

0 Kudos