Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

July 27th, 2011 11:00

32bit to 64bit conversion

How can I make my laptop 64bit compatible? My pc is 10years old and runs windows 7 64bit like a dream but my laptop keeps popping up with a windows32.exe error and won't even let me install the windows 32bit version let alone the 64bit. Is there some sort of driver I can download? How exactly does this type of thing work?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

July 27th, 2011 12:00

I'm confused by your post ... you want to make your laptop 64-bit compatible, but it runs 7x64 like a dream, but you can't install Windows ... ???

If your system is 10 years old (but you didnt' tell us what model!), there is a more-than-good chance that your computer just is not 64-bit capable, and the only way to make it capable of running a 64-bit OS is to replace the processor (at a very minimum), but 99.9% of the time, you would need a new motherboard, processor and memory, etc. to match it - basically a new computer.

Please clarify what system you have, what OS it is running, and what you want to accomplish/ask.

6 Posts

July 28th, 2011 09:00

Hi,

Sorry to confuse you. The windows 7 64bit runs on my desktop which has a much older processor, motherboard etc than my laptop. I am trying to install windows 7 on my dell inspiron 640m also. It is has been configured since I bought it and is not a standard inpiron but windows 7 refuses to load onto it. I desperately want to load the 64bit version (and was hoping there was a way to do this, ie. reconfigure the bios or something) but will settle for the 32bit version if I really can't load the 64bit onto it.

I just don't understand why I had no problems with my much older desktop but nothing seems to work on the laptop, which specs are a lot better than the desktop.

So my question was is there anyway to reconfigure the laptop. I have tried loading windows 7 from the bios but that didn't work either. The windows 7 upgrade advisor says the laptop should be compatible.

If you have any advise I havn't tried yet I will be eternally greatful as I need to use Autodesk Revit 2012 for my job and it won't run on windows xp properly...if it wasn't for this software believe me I would be harrasing you with how to load linux os questions ;-b

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

July 28th, 2011 10:00

It is not always a matter of age - sometimes it is a matter of compatibility.  

You "should" be able to load Windows 7x64 on an Inspiron 640m, as it supports Vistax64, HOWEVER, there is some hardware and some software that works on Vista but does not on 7.  One thing to check is your processor's capability - what processor model number does your 640m have?  If the machine is 64-bit capable but has a processor that is not, then you will not be able to install a 64-bit OS ... that combination is not common however.

Since it "should" work ... what have you tried and what EXACTLY is happening when you say it "doesn't work"?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 29th, 2011 08:00

The cpu must be 64 bit to load 64 bit windows.  

No Events found!