Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 31st, 2014 02:00

32bit to 64bit upgrade RAM problems

I recently went from 32bit to 64bit Windows 7 Pro following the "unofficial" Reinstallation Wiki (the second time around) to the letter.  Here what's happening:  bouhgt two 4GB sticks of DDR3 1600 MHz 1.5 volt RAM.  It is fully recognized in BIOS rev. A16. 3.8 GB is usable and works in Windows 32 Bit perfectly.  When I attemt to load Windows in 64 Bit I get 1) White Screen to Windows Repair loop -both DIMM A & B loaded 2-BSOD when either stick is loaded in DIMM A only.

Is the voltage incorrect?  Why do these modules work perfectly in 32 bit?  Should I exchange for 1333 MHz at 1.35 volts?  Please advise

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

March 31st, 2014 18:00

Generally I would go for Crucial RAM on Dell systems. We find that they sometimes don't always accept RAM from other vendors. In this case Crucial have 1.35V modules:

http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/Dell-memory/Latitude/Latitude+E6410-upgrades.html

They also have PC3-12800 modules which will be the fastest. You might also want to consider a SSD also however the high capacity ones are still quite expensive.

This hidden legacy driver, I'm not sure. Looking around it seems related with the Dell Reader:

http://ftp.dell.com/app/Dell_Reader-2-0_A06_R272851.exe

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/latitude-e6410?driverId=4RM8G

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

March 31st, 2014 03:00

This is more likely a hardware than a software issue.

What model of Dell? Where did you get the RAM?

15 Posts

March 31st, 2014 07:00

Thank you for your reply-apologies for lack of specs (I was tired from the two complete clean installs)

Specs:

Latitude E6410

i5-540M Dual Core  Mobile Intel 5 Series chipset (QM57)

Discreet Video Controller: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 3100M

Corsair Vengeance RAM purchased from Amazon

CMSX8GX3M2A1600C9

2x4 GB SDRAM

DDR3-1600MHz PC3-12800  

Non-ECC  Unbuffered CAS Latency 204 pin

1.5 volt 

15 Posts

March 31st, 2014 17:00

I'm unsure about which type of hardware is causing the issue.  Do you mean specifically the modules purchased from Amazon?   If so, should I get 1333 MHz 1.35 volt instead.  Amazon is offering a full refund so I can order another set of RAM.  Do you have any recommendation for memory?  I want the RAM for gaming.  I only play one game and this machine does run it but my fps is around 25.  I am comfortable at 30 (min) so I am thinking with 6 more GB (I have 1 GB in each slot right now), it will be there.

Any suggestions?  Any thing more you might want to add?

Thanks for your detailed Wiki's.  I am running BIOS rev. A16 on this.  It came refurbished with rev. A15 It is from youre Wiki's that I can feel confident in my last reinstall that everything is smooth.  Oh one last thing... I have a yellow exclamation on a "hidden' LEGACY driver.  Under Plug 'n' Play DVMIO.  Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Michael Rosa

15 Posts

April 4th, 2014 23:00

I have written three reply’s and through my lack of knowledge of these type of threads lost ALL THREE.  The first one stated my gratitude for your ability to pinpoint the “hidden” legacy driver problem that was laying and waiting to corrupt anything that might have come its way.  The Reader 2.1 link(s) placed me right at the solution and my device manager is NOT flying ANY - hidden or visible – yellow exclamation points.

I have received my new Crucial RAM (ordered RAM from the results of the Crucial memory ‘finder’ that you linked in your 2nd reply) and my Windows 7 Pro32 to 64 bit “upgrade’ is sporting a new 8 GB WITHOUT ANY problems.

I hope you will see this response even though I have pressed the ‘yes” button!

I am preparing a 120 GB SSD (Samsung) taken from my Desktop – for installation in the laptop that has been the focus of this thread under your advice.  PLEASE if you have ANY tips, cautions, comments about the E6410 and SSD’s DO NOT HESITATE TO REPLY!  Your knowledge is so VERY MUCH appreciated.

Due to the size of the SSD I plan to replace my DVD-RW bay with a 2nd drive Bay.  It’s already on the way; however, if you have any cautions re: please POST.  I have large files that I like to keep on the machine so the second drive bay seemed like a natural solution.  PLEASE ADVISE IF YOU FEEL ITS NECEASSARY!

THANK YOU – your truly “ROCK” and are a “STAR” in this forum – THAT IS FOR SURE!

Mike

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 5th, 2014 09:00

Thanks for posting back about your success. Its great to hear that you managed to resolve your issues.

There have been minor forum problems the last few days regarding logging in and being directed away from your post after logging in but these seem resolved now. Its likely why you had issues posting.

Regarding the Solid State Drive I would place it in the original hard drive slot which might be slightly faster than the 2nd drive bay. The solid state drive will run much faster than the conventional hard drive and so should be put in the fastest slot. When you get the solid state drive, you will need to reinstall Windows on it and format the original drive so you can use it for additional storage.

After installation of Windows on the Solid State Drive in some cases you will need to open up disc management after Windows installation to initialise the conventional hard drive. You should then remap the documents, desktop, downloads, pictures, music and videos libraries to the conventional hard drive. I have a quick video here (no audio) which demonstrates this being done for Windows 8.1. I will work on a written guide later for Windows 7 and 8.1:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/hardware-upgrades-for-your-system/upgrading-to-a-solid-state-drive/solid-state-drive-and-hard-drive-configuration/

15 Posts

April 5th, 2014 20:00

It may be best to Post to a new thread but can I use Acronis True Image to clone my HDD unto my SSD?  I would only clone the OS essentials and back up other files for future use. As you know, I have re-installed Windows 7 64bit  twice and its just about perfect right now , but if it s best one more time to the installation Wiki....

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 6th, 2014 01:00

Yes you can also use Acronis.

I recommend the WD Edition or Seagate Disc Wizard Edition which are free to use if you have a Seagate or WD External hard drive.

I haven't got to updating my guide on using these however if you look at page 247 of the older pdf it will give you basic instructions:

http://philipyip.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/windows-reinstallation-guide-22-12-2013.pdf

15 Posts

April 6th, 2014 12:00

For some reason my SSD(Samsung 840 D) wast recognized in Bay 1.  While it was in the removable (bay 2) caddy it was recgnized and that was how I cloned my OS.  Anyway, I'm finished with the clean install and am in process of loading software.

I'm confused because my "new" 2nd drive is seen BUT not how I had planned.  It seems it is in RAID 1 with the SSD and I don't know anything about RAID tech.  I have been goofing around with IRST app for awhile but still cannot configure it to act as a second drive where my high data usage files can be utilized.

Should I reassign it to AC HI in BIOS?

If not, how do I utilize it as a second drive for my purposes?

Can it be used while still in RAID 1 as a second drive?

In Disk management its sitting there beautifully- can I use disk management to reassign it for the purpose stated above?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 6th, 2014 16:00

You should be able to initialise the hard drive in the disc management right click it and select create new simple volume. It should work fine in the current configuration.

15 Posts

April 6th, 2014 19:00

Unfortunately I guess Ive gone too far or something with the IR ST application and my second bay drive.  It doesn't show in Disk management at all anymore.

Its showing as Toshiba_array_1

Type: Recovery

Is there a way to change this through IRST?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 7th, 2014 01:00

What SATA operation do you have? Do you have IRST set up for a cache drive?

15 Posts

April 7th, 2014 03:00

I have had three PC's with that application (IRST) icon in the lower corner and this is the first time I have even attempted to use it.  Maybe this will be worthwhile.

At the time of writing, I have  two disks showing with an "array" between them in IRST:

and it is NOT recognized in Device Manager:

cant tell you how much I appreciate you hanging in here with me.  Especially now with IRST.  Maybe I can learn this application....

Mike

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 7th, 2014 17:00

Looks like you have a RAID setup, in this configuration one drive is backing the other drive up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/267571-32-intel-rapid-storage-tech-shows-raid-device-doesn

To use both drives individually you need the SATA operation within the BIOS setup to be set to AHCI. To access the BIOS setup power down your system and press F2 at the Dell logo while powering up.

15 Posts

April 7th, 2014 19:00

I think it set itself in RAID 1 upon first boot with the BIOS set to RAID ON and the fact that I had "cloned" the Toshiba 5400 onto the Samsung SSD.

Anyway, I was looking back to this post because the first screen shot does in fact show the SSD as a "Master".  and on the bottom it says, "swap these drives".  Well, somehow I did just a bit two much tinkering and have put the Toshiba 5400 as the Master disk and the SSD as a recovery disk.  I brought home a Seagate 5400 today and wanted to replace the Toshiba 5400 but cannot bring the screen up in IRST like the one pictured above.  IU dont want to change it to AHCI in BIOS until I have the SSD as Master, correct?

If I change the BIOS to AHCI while the SSD is set to recovery and the Master shows as "missing", will it go into the correct modes, or do I have to figure out how to make the SSD a Master before setting the AHCI in  BIOS?

Almost  through this-  I am installing the Seagate because it is 1TB and I was going to save the Toshiba 5400 as a back up OS. 

Mike

No Events found!