Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 4th, 2008 19:00

4500S Shuts down and starts with serious error

Sorry,

Forgot to say that this happens when the computer has been in standby and I come back Outlook Express encounters a problem and has to shut down.  Then when I send an error report it comes up with this:

Follow these steps to solve the problem with a device driver

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused Windows to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

Troubleshooting

Depending on which situation is applicable to you, do one of the following:

• If this problem occurred after you installed a new hardware device on your computer, the problem might be caused by the device driver. Use the Dell Driver Reset Tool or uninstall the driver.

How do I disable or uninstall a device driver?

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel. If you are using Classic View, click Switch to Category View.
    2. Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
    3. Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
    4. Click the plus sign (+) next to the faulting device. You should now see the device listed.
    5. Right-click the device, and then click Disable or Uninstall.
  • If this problem occurred after you installed new software, the software might have installed a driver that caused the problem. Try uninstalling the software.

How do I uninstall a program?

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs.

2. Click Change or Remove Programs, click the program you want to remove, and then click Change/Remove or Remove.

Note
      If the program that you want to uninstall is not listed, it might not have been written for this version of Windows. To uninstall the program, check the information that came with the program.

• If you don't know the specific driver or software, try performing a System Restore.

• Go online to check for updated drivers for a device driver on the Windows Update website

1. Go online to the Windows Update website:

Windows Update

Note
      If Microsoft Update is installed, you'll be taken to the Microsoft Update website.

2. Click Custom to check for available updates.

3. In the left pane, under Select by Type, click Hardware, Optional. Select the updates for a device driver, click Review and install updates, and then click Install Updates.

• For information about your support options, go online to the Support.Dell.Com website.

Looked for the Dell Driver Reset Tool and didn't have it.  Tried to download it and it wouldn't do it.  Restored it to before I got the other monitor. Still no help.  Don't know how or what to disable or uninstall and how or what to reinstall.

Thanx again,

L

528 Posts

October 5th, 2008 04:00

can you post the stop error?
No Events found!