Steve13565
Copper

RE: A major bug in the latest SupportAssist / Dell Diag Control Device

Jump to solution

I have turned off the services Dell Data Vault and Dell Data Vault Wizard to solve some horrible performance problems with the entire computer.

The programs are not shown in the Windows Software uninstall window. 

I have found these files

32 ./Program Files/Dell/DellDataVault/
2498 ./Program Files/Dell/DellDataVault/DellDataVault.exe*
201 ./Program Files/Dell/DellDataVault/DellDataVaultProv.dll*
198 ./Program Files/Dell/DellDataVault/DellDataVaultWiz.exe*
193 ./Program Files (x86)/Dell/SupportAssistAgent/bin/DellDataVaultProvider.dll*

0 Kudos
nickiov
Copper

Jump to solution

My computer:
Dell Vostro 3550 – Windows 7 Pro – 64-bit

My symptoms:
• Key strokes don't appear on screen – then, after several seconds, appear all at once  (both laptop keyboard and external keyboard).
• Context menus take several seconds to open
• Audio stutters
• Intermittent pauses on many software programs

Downloaded Malewarebytes and did a complete scan.   Nothing detected. 

Based on forum messages, I disabled dddriver64dcsa.sys, but no help.

Is the hotfix you mention in your Feb 16, 2015 available?

Nick

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Steve13565
Copper

Jump to solution

I eventually discovered that my problem was a dying hard drive.  The reason the disk was getting tied up was that it was having trouble being written to (or read possibly).  When the disk finally died, and I replaced it, my problems were gone.  I am slowly (or not so slowly) replacing all my seagate drives with either Hitachi or Toshiba drives.  I have two computer, two external drives and an 8 drive NAS.  I have had 4 Seagate drives die on me.  So far, the Toshiba and Hitachi drives haven't failed me.

I know that Seagate has bought out the Htachi drive business.  I am just hoping that Seagate doesn't manage to botch the superior Hitachi technology.

0 Kudos
nickiov
Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks Steve. 

I was skeptical that a new hard drive was the answer because my symptoms did not seem to point to a failing hard drive.  And the diagnostic tests on the drive came back clean.  But I replaced the drive yesterday and all problems are cured.

(I actually did the reverse and replaced the Toshiba with a Seagate -- got a great deal.  Time will tell.)

Thanks again.

Nick

0 Kudos
benecya
Copper

Jump to solution

experiencing the symptoms listed by op.  the sound is so irritating its causing a migraine.  it's not exactly loud but that's why its frustrating it's just the frequency is jarring  ugh i didn't even know the issue with the dell assist was related to the noise coming from the ssd, though both i was researching today because this is a new device and i can't live like t his.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Whoever is writing support software for DELL and ALienware is in a DEADLY battle with Microsoft and the .NET frameworks. I have had my Alienware for almost 4 years and from day ONE I had problems that were traced to .NET versions . Alienware solution was to delete ALL .NET frameworks and reinstall one at a time and see what happened.

Unfortunately Microsoft calls the shots here (as they did with DOS) If a driver has a problem with a MS DLL it is NOT Microsoft's fault , it is the third party programming that ***! For some reason DELL refuses to hire competent programmers for their utilities (which are ***) and if Microsoft makes a minor revision to a framework.. these geniuses do not bother going back to see if MS change affects their problem.

On the other side AMD, will issue monthly updates to its drivers and utilities just to keep up with MS .NET changes. Does it speak highly of MS ? NOPE .. the genius programmers at MS are retired and laughing their *** off . No one is speaking to anyone ( VERY different from 15 years ago) And BOTH MS and the third party is just telling the cient . *** OFF.

Funny the only industry that IS on top of MS changes is the gaming developers . Carbonite also jumped on WIN 10 issues and rewrote their program in 2 weeks but DELL/ALIENWARE ?  SUFFER! Oh BTW I had a tech in my house for 2 days rebuilding my PC from the ground up and as soon as he was done i started getting surges of FAN sped. calling the guys at alienware in Costa Rica , they admited it was TWO "possible" utilities loaded by Dell . Dell Data Vault & Dell Data Wizard what those two things do is a mystery but they throw the system into horrendous instability. For now, just turn them off through MSCONFIG or Service manager

0 Kudos
kwslhs
Copper

Jump to solution

THIS PROBLEM IS STILL HAPPENING IN 2017.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              1556.173122

Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       DDDriver64Dcsa.sys - DDDriver.sys, Dell Computer Corporation

I took this reading from my  brand new system last night while debugging an audio recording program. How nice to find after two years it's actually NOT fixed.

Who actually and formally responds to this support issue?

-K

0 Kudos