Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

December 31st, 2008 06:00

Access denied for Windows XP Service Pack 3 Update - Also general access denied when installing medial player 11

Trying to install service pack 3 for windows and keep getting "access denied."  Went to MS web site for support and have tried all their steps listed and still no luck. 

I am considering trying to reinstall XP from my Dell reinstallation CD, but have concerns about losing data.  If there were a way to reinstall without losing files and other software I would consider that.  I think I would live with the problems I am having before I lose everything.

Another interesting thing is that when I try to burn music to a CD using any type of software it cuts the disc short, so I tried to reinstall Windows Media Player and I got a message "general access denied."  So I would reallly like to get this all resolved so I can burn music again.  This all may not be part of the same issue but I expect it is.

I would appreciate suggestions on what to try.

Thanks

2 Posts

December 31st, 2008 07:00

Husky, thanks for that suggestion. I did try that last night without success; however, I did not make sure the firewall was disabled--I don't think that would matter since I have downloaded to my desktop the service pack 3 installation application.  I could try it again...but I suspect I am going to have to try something else.

Thank you.

1.6K Posts

December 31st, 2008 07:00

Method 1 under "Advanced Troubleshooting" in the link below has worked on every system I've had this problem with.  Note:  the script you save and run can take a LONG time - hours in some cases - to run.  It WILL complete, even if it looks like it's frozen up - just be patient.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

No Events found!