Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2010 22:00

Admin passwords for dell inspiron 8100

I got a used dell inspiron 8100 and when I turn it on a page comes up saying I need to enter the admins password.  Of course I have no idea what this is so is there a way to fix this laptop?  I can't get anything else to come up on the screen except for the page telling me computer is locked and to enter the admin. password.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Carla

• 

16.7K Posts

January 14th, 2010 06:00

carlaerwin,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

There is no way of knowing what the admin password is on your system. There are programs online you can purchase that my help. You can try booting into safe mode by pressing the F8 key. If that allows you in then go into user accounts in the control panel and remove or change the password. If that does not work for you then you will have to format and reinstall Windows.

2 Posts

January 14th, 2010 06:00

Hi,

I have tried pushing f8 and it still comes up with the same things.

You said I will have to format and reinstall windows.  What does format mean?  Also where can I get a copy of windows and once I get one do I just stick it in the computer and run it?

Sorry for not knowing more about computers but any help you can/will give me is greatly appreciated.

Carla

• 

16.7K Posts

January 14th, 2010 08:00

carlaerwin,

Are you pressing the F8 key as soon as it starts booting up? Format means to wipe the current copy of Windows off the hard drive and reinstall a fresh copy. You would have to  search the internet for a copy of past Windows Operating Systems for this computer.

2 Posts

January 14th, 2010 08:00

Yes I am pressing right away and still get the locked out page coming up. 

Since this is the screen coming up on the computer is there still a way to wipe out the current copy of windows xp on this computer?

I will look online for a copy of windows xp.

Thanks

No Events found!