Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 12th, 2013 10:00

Administrator account deleted on Windows 8, but still asking for password

Hi all,

I recently bought a DELL Inspiron 15R SE from Dell, running windows 8.

When I first ran through the installation procedure, I logged in using my hotmail/outlook account.

I configured it as I wished, then created an standard user account as this laptop was destined to my mother.

I then removed my outlook account. Win 8 permitted it, but now I don`t have any admin account on the laptop.

Now the issue is that whenever I try any action requiring elevated privileges, a box pops up asking for an admin account password, but nothing works.

The only way out I can see at this point would be to re-install Win 8, for which I would need an installation DVD, which I didn`t get with the laptop

Can anyone tell me of a way to recover from this situation (i.e. creating a new admin account), or how / where I can get an installation DVD or ISO file ?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Patrick

2K Posts

August 12th, 2013 19:00

Hi Patrick,

I will be glad to help you. You may try following the below steps to take the computer back to factory state:

1. Plug in the AC adapter.

2. Point to the right hand corner of the screen to bring up the charms bar.

3. Click Settings.

4. Select ‘PC settings, In the PC settings window, select ‘General’.

5. Once “General is selected, on the right side scroll down to click on ‘Restart Now’ under Advanced settings’

6. In the next screen click on ‘Trouble shoot’.

7. Click the Dell Backup and Recovery icon.

8. The system restarts and comes back up, click ‘Next’ on the Dell Backup and Recovery Screen.

9. The system would be checked to see if the smart repair option can fix the issue, click ‘Next’ once this is done.

10. You will be prompted to select the backup to be used, click the factory image option or select from one of the backups. Click Next.

11. You will be prompted to back up your files, if needed do so by selecting the option ‘Yes, backup my personal files’ (Make sure to have an external backup hard drive handy.) or select No, Erase my files.

12. The system goes ahead and completes the restore of the operating system. Click Restart when prompted.

13. Follow the on-screen instructions to setup the system with windows.

Note: Please backup the data before attempting this. Also make sure you setup the computer normally without admin rights.

If the above steps don’t works do send me the system service tag via private message. I will check and see what can be done.

To send a private message, click on my user name and select start conversation.

5 Posts

August 13th, 2013 05:00

Hello Kiran,

Thank you for your prompt answer. I actually found this solution myself yesterday night, and it worked like a charm!

Have a great day,

Patrick

2K Posts

August 13th, 2013 22:00

Hi Patrick,

It is good to know the issue is fixed. However, if you have any questions/ issues in future you may either send me a message or start a new thread. We will be glad to help you.

5 Posts

August 14th, 2013 05:00

Hi Kiran,

I will definitively reach out if I need more help.

Thanks again,

Patrick

2 Posts

January 4th, 2014 20:00

Please tell me what you did to fix this problem or at least where you found the answer. I have no administrator capabilities and downloading anything is not an option. Thank you.

5 Posts

January 6th, 2014 04:00

Hi Lola,

Sorry for not mentioning it before, please see the accepted answer, this is what actually worked for me.

Simply use the Dell built-in restore manager to reset your computer to factory settings.

2 Posts

January 6th, 2014 06:00

Hi Patwork,

I called DELL tech support. Even though my computer is less than a year old and still under warranty they were going to charge me for their help. The first tech I spoke with was completely useless except to tell me I had to pay more. FRUSTRATING! I had to boot from a disk and reinstall my OS. I lost everything on my computer.

I couldn't get into restore or DELL backup without the Admin password. 

I am going back to my old Mac. I only had to call their helpdesk once and my computer was 3 years old. They were very helpful and didn't try to charge me extra to repair their own product.

5 Posts

January 6th, 2014 07:00

Hi again Lola,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. For my part I guess I was lucky to get great service in the few times I needed it.

Good luck

No Events found!