Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2005 22:00

Administrator password woes - cannot get into XP

Oh boy, here we go.

My computer recently had a corrupted registry file (windows\system32\config\software). No problem, I put in the XP CD, got to the Recovery Console, and copied it from the windows\repair folder.
Restarted and got a message that windows\system32\config\system was corrupt. Went into Recovery Console, but surprise - it wasn't in the windows\repair folder.
That's when I called Dell tech support. The technician had me restore a file from the very first system restore point. (I have this feeling I would have been fine if he'd told me to use a later one.)

Big mistake! I am now completely unable to get into the Recovery Console or Windows XP. No safe mode, no command prompt, nothing. Somehow it changed the administrator password, and I cannot access anything, period. The Dell technician said he'd call me back, but since it's been days, I'm now looking for a solution on my own. Here's what I've tried so far:

-Tried different things for the Admin password: null, administrator, password, even the service tag number. No dice.

-Went to the Microsoft website and made a set of boot floppies, like the article said. It still won't let me into Recovery Console.

-Tried to repair my installation of Windows using both the setup CD and boot floppies. Again, no luck.

Would anyone happen to have a solution that doesn't involve losing all of my data? Help!

18.8K Posts

November 20th, 2005 23:00

chrissongs,

You asked, "Would anyone happen to have a solution that doesn't involve losing all of my data? Help!"

At this point, your best bet is to remove the hard disk from that computer, install it in a different computer, and copy your data to CD/DVD then return the hard disk and reinstall XP.

12K Posts

November 21st, 2005 03:00

16 Posts

November 21st, 2005 11:00

Unfortunately, my computer never gets to the security hole. After it restarts, the XP logo shows up, and then I get the password error. Never even gets to the end of the repair. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

16 Posts

November 21st, 2005 12:00

Yup - can't get into safe mode, safe mode w/command prompt... I tried every configuration on boot, no luck.

12K Posts

November 21st, 2005 12:00

Did you try running in Safe Mode also?
No Events found!