Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 6th, 2013 17:00

After running Dell OS re-install DVD, my e1705 will not turn on

My Inspiron e1705 had been running slowly and I kept getting error messages on start-up, so I decided to use the re-installation disk to re-set the OS (Win XP Media Edition).  As the installation proceeded I got several error messages:

s24trans.sys file needed on Intel Pro/Wireless Transport Driver Install Disk

The procedure entry point GetRequestedRunTimeVersion could not be located in the dynamic link library mscoree.dll

C:\Windows|Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\mscorwks.dll could not be found

I cancelled out of each message since I didn't see any alternatives.  The process completed and I was back in XP with everything looking normal.  I closed down my computer. As it was closing an Avast pop-up said that a threat was found.  Though I have had Avast on the computer for a while, I don't think I have seen one of those pop-ups before.  The computer closed before I could read it.

I then tried to restart the computer.  When I pressed the button, the little yellow power light lit while my finger was on the button, but nothing else happened.  The computer didn't even start to turn on.  I have tried the button multiple times, of course.  I am wondering if the hard drive somehow got fried.  Any thoughts, suggestions?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 6th, 2013 17:00

The hard drive being fried wouldn't stop the system from powering up as the system can run without a hard drive; it could be motherboard failure however or the battery/charger failing to work.

First remove the AC cord, then remove the battery. Then hold down the power button down for 10 seconds. Then reseat the battery and reseat the charger and leave it for a couple of hours and then try powering it back up.

October 6th, 2013 18:00

Thank-you.  As I was unplugging, I noticed that the power light of the charger was not on.  It turns out that the wall outlet was turned off the whole time I was re-installing the operating system, so the battery was drained.  (I am not in my own home, so I didn't realize the outlet could be switched off.)  Now on to the next problems with my re-installation . . . . :emotion-1:

2 Posts

October 6th, 2013 20:00

Thank-you.  As I was unplugging, I noticed that the power light of the charger was not on.  It turns out that the wall outlet was turned off the whole time I was re-installing the operating system, so the battery was drained.  (I am not in my own home, so I didn't realize the outlet could be switched off.)  Now on to the next problems with my re-installation . . . . :emotion-1:

2 Posts

October 6th, 2013 21:00

[quote user="Diving Otter"]

[/quote]

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 7th, 2013 00:00

Great that always helps! However I would not recommend installing Windows XP on your system as Windows XP reaches its End of Life in 6 months. For more information see Windows XP SP3 and Office 2003 SP3 end of life in April 2014.

Windows 7 32 Bit and Windows 8 32 Bit work fine on the system. I have tested it out on the Inspiron E1505/6400.

I would suggest doing is getting a Windows 8 32 Bit upgrade as Windows 8.1 is out in 2 weeks and fixes a lot of issues that were present with Windows 8.0 and will be a lot cheaper than Windows 7.

Windows 7 Unofficial drivers are available for the Inspiron E1705/9400 here:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/unofficial-driver-sets/inspiron-laptops-windows-7/inspiron-9400-windows-7-32-bit/ 

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/unofficial-driver-sets/inspiron-laptops-windows-7/inspiron-9400-windows-7-64-bit/ 

The 64 bit version of Windows 7 may work but it depends on the processor installed and as the system maxes out on 3.25 GB of RAM, I recommend sticking to the 32 bit on this model. Use the same drivers for Windows 8 with the exception of OS updates and System Utilities.

Follow Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean Install of Windows 7/8:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/ 

Note this system has media direct so follow Step 7b to correctly setup media direct.

You may install Windows 7 32 bit using a .iso without a product key to evaluate it for 30 days or the Windows 8.1 consumer preview (which is valid for use till about January) as instructed in the Windows Reinstallation Guide and I would advise you do this to see how you like the way things are running before purchasing a license.

No Events found!