Highlighted
3 Argentum

Amber Powerlight, Black Screen

Jump to solution

I have a Dell Inspiron 20 - 3052. It turned off overnight, and the powerlight is amber, instead of the normal white. I can turn it off, but trying to start again gives the same amber light. There's no apparent attempt to load windows, or anything. Yesterday, I got an alert from Dell that a BIOS update was available. I clicked on "Not Now" and forgot about it. After I went to bed, my wife was on the computer. When she finished, she says an update wanted to run, so she clicked OK, left the computer on and went to bed. I'm guessing that it was the same Dell BIOS update that I had declined earlier, since I had recently run all the MS Updates from 5/9.

Question: Would a corrupted BIOS update give me the behavior I'm seeing? If so, how do I fix the BIOS when I can't get the computer to do anything. If not, who's got another guess at what my problem may be and how to fix it.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
3 Argentum

RE: Amber Powerlight, Black Screen

Jump to solution

Yes LSUFAN51, thanks for asking. I did contact Dell Technical Support and when I told them my story, they said there were a lot of people with the same story. They're sending me a prepaid return box today, and I'm to return the computer to them for repair, all completely free of charge. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that I really get my computer back functioning like it did before the fateful BIOS update.

View solution in original post

30 Replies
Highlighted
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

emoticon.BigSmile.title

Power off system. Turn off power strip surge protector or disconnect wall cord from wall outlet. Remove power adapter and all peripherals from system. Remove power cable from adapter brick. Press "Power On" button for about 30 seconds to release Static Flea Power. Plug power adapter into system, cable  into brick, wall cord back into wall outlet . Power on system, hopefully computer runs normally.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

OK, thanks for your thoughts, but no success. Same behavior.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

Is the Amber light blinking or solid ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

Please check and see if you're able to boot into the BIOS:

1. Power off system.

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping F2 key continuously. Hopefully you're in the BIOS.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

Also,  

Try to run the diagnostic tool to check hardware on the system by following the steps below:

1. Power off system

2. Power on system, quickly tap the F12 key continuously until you see Preparing one time boot menu in the top right corner of the screen. In the boot menu, stroll down to Diagnostic and then click it.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Solid

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Tapping F2 (for about 60 seconds) doesn't do anything, except make my hand tired. When I push the power button, there is absolutely no activity, no hard drive indicator light blinking, no indication of any activity at all, no beeps, no nothin'.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

Amber light being Solid is a good sign, now please follow steps above to see if you're able to get into either the BIOS or Diagnostic.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Tapping F12 gave same none response as tapping F2  Nada.

0 Kudos