Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 13th, 2017 10:00

Amber Powerlight, Black Screen

I have a Dell Inspiron 20 - 3052. It turned off overnight, and the powerlight is amber, instead of the normal white. I can turn it off, but trying to start again gives the same amber light. There's no apparent attempt to load windows, or anything. Yesterday, I got an alert from Dell that a BIOS update was available. I clicked on "Not Now" and forgot about it. After I went to bed, my wife was on the computer. When she finished, she says an update wanted to run, so she clicked OK, left the computer on and went to bed. I'm guessing that it was the same Dell BIOS update that I had declined earlier, since I had recently run all the MS Updates from 5/9.

Question: Would a corrupted BIOS update give me the behavior I'm seeing? If so, how do I fix the BIOS when I can't get the computer to do anything. If not, who's got another guess at what my problem may be and how to fix it.

219 Posts

May 24th, 2017 07:00

Yes LSUFAN51, thanks for asking. I did contact Dell Technical Support and when I told them my story, they said there were a lot of people with the same story. They're sending me a prepaid return box today, and I'm to return the computer to them for repair, all completely free of charge. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that I really get my computer back functioning like it did before the fateful BIOS update.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 14th, 2017 08:00

:emotion-2:

Power off system. Turn off power strip surge protector or disconnect wall cord from wall outlet. Remove power adapter and all peripherals from system. Remove power cable from adapter brick. Press "Power On" button for about 30 seconds to release Static Flea Power. Plug power adapter into system, cable  into brick, wall cord back into wall outlet . Power on system, hopefully computer runs normally.

219 Posts

May 14th, 2017 08:00

OK, thanks for your thoughts, but no success. Same behavior.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 14th, 2017 09:00

If you're comfortable in opening computer, I'd suggest reseating motherboard (coin -cell) battery. Please read manual thoroughly in link below before attempting to remove battery.

Inspiron 20 3052 Service Manual

1. Power off system. Remove all peripherals, AC adapter, battery, and press "Power On" for 15 seconds

2.. Open computer, remove coin-cell battery, and then press Power On button for 30 seconds

3. Reinstall battery. Note: It might be a good idea to purchase a brand new battery to replace the old one. The battery usually cost about $2.00 - $5.00 at your local Walmart, or Dollar store.

Hopefully this will reset BIOS to all default settings...

219 Posts

Tapping F12 gave same none response as tapping F2  Nada.

219 Posts

Solid

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Also,  

Try to run the diagnostic tool to check hardware on the system by following the steps below:

1. Power off system

2. Power on system, quickly tap the F12 key continuously until you see Preparing one time boot menu in the top right corner of the screen. In the boot menu, stroll down to Diagnostic and then click it.  

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Amber light being Solid is a good sign, now please follow steps above to see if you're able to get into either the BIOS or Diagnostic.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Is the Amber light blinking or solid ?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Please check and see if you're able to boot into the BIOS:

1. Power off system.

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping F2 key continuously. Hopefully you're in the BIOS.

219 Posts

Tapping F2 (for about 60 seconds) doesn't do anything, except make my hand tired. When I push the power button, there is absolutely no activity, no hard drive indicator light blinking, no indication of any activity at all, no beeps, no nothin'.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 14th, 2017 10:00

Lastly, if you aren't comfortable in opening the computer, I suggest you contact Technical Support in the link below. Hopefully one of the Dell reps here on this forum, see this thread and be a help to you.

Contact Information | Dell US

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Please click on link below, hopefully it will be a help to you as well: 

Inspiron One 2205 All-in-one will not turn on just amber light

219 Posts

Well, I'm stumped for now. I got the stand off, and the optical drive out, but I simply can't get the back cover off. Sounds easy, but I'm exhausted and frustrated right now. I'll get back to you when, or if, I get the back cover off. If anybody has any tricks to successfully prying the back cover off, I'd appreciate hearing them.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

No Events found!