Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 13th, 2017 10:00

Amber Powerlight, Black Screen

I have a Dell Inspiron 20 - 3052. It turned off overnight, and the powerlight is amber, instead of the normal white. I can turn it off, but trying to start again gives the same amber light. There's no apparent attempt to load windows, or anything. Yesterday, I got an alert from Dell that a BIOS update was available. I clicked on "Not Now" and forgot about it. After I went to bed, my wife was on the computer. When she finished, she says an update wanted to run, so she clicked OK, left the computer on and went to bed. I'm guessing that it was the same Dell BIOS update that I had declined earlier, since I had recently run all the MS Updates from 5/9.

Question: Would a corrupted BIOS update give me the behavior I'm seeing? If so, how do I fix the BIOS when I can't get the computer to do anything. If not, who's got another guess at what my problem may be and how to fix it.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 14th, 2017 11:00

I suggest you contact Technical Support in the link above and see what they could do. I don't want you to break that nice looking computer.....:emotion-2:

219 Posts

May 14th, 2017 12:00

OK, I got the back off (w/o breaking anything:emotion-2:). Removed battery, discharged system, replaced battery, reassembled, plugged in. No change in behavior. Amber powerlight, no indication of any activity, no fan noise, no nuthin.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 14th, 2017 12:00

Please click on the link below and read page 81.

Me and My Dell

219 Posts

May 14th, 2017 14:00

OK, I understood your instructions regarding the battery removal was to reset BIOS to its default. Page 81 says it will clear ALL data from the CMOS. Does that really mean any user data ADDED to the CMOS? If not, it doesn't sound like I'd be at the factory default, i.e. I's have NOTHING. Wouldn't holding the power switch for 30 sec (i.e. your way)  be as good as just letting the system set for 15 to 30 minutes (the page 81 way)? If my system has the jumpers, should I use them to clear both passwords and CMOS, or just remove the battery and discharge the system? I want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I disassemble and reassemble everything again.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 14th, 2017 15:00

I think it probably best to contact Technical Support and see what they could do for you. Hopefully one of the Dell reps or someone else will charm in and be a help to you.

219 Posts

May 14th, 2017 18:00

OK, thanks LSUFAN51. I appreciate your time spent with me and my problem. I'll try clearing the CMOS one more time before I give up and replace the system board. If I'm successful I'll let you know.

17 Posts

May 15th, 2017 07:00

I just had the same issue, got a BIOS update this morning. I followed all the steps above and was even able to replace the battery but it is still not turning on. I'm kicking myself for clicking on that stupid BIOS update. Now I have to pay to take my desktop to get it fixed since its out of warranty.

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

May 15th, 2017 10:00

Yolandac1-

Thanks for the update on this about having trouble with the BIOS update. Can you Private Message me your Service Tag so that I can look into this? 

Best regards,

Brad

3 Posts

May 21st, 2017 09:00

I am having the same issue and even with the warranty expired, Dell has offer to repair the unit for free. The problem is they told me they need my computer for 2 weeks to fix it.

Does the BIOS or CMOS reset solve this issue? I'm willing ti try it but don't want to do any more damage. I REALLY need the files from from hard drive.

Thanks, David.

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

May 22nd, 2017 16:00

Hi David, 

you can try my post here and you might get lucky (just make sure to use a wired USB keyboard) but resetting the CMOS/Battery etc. will unfortunately not do anything in this case (normally that is a great suggestion). If the BIOS recovery from my post does not work, then service will be your only option.

I hope this helps,

Brad 

3 Posts

May 22nd, 2017 17:00

Thanks for the suggestion Brad, but she's deader than a door nail. I did pull the hard drive and off-loaded my data, thank goodness.

Regards, David.

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

May 23rd, 2017 09:00

Hi David,

Thanks for the update, I am glad you were able to backup your data. I figured it wouldn't work but regardless was definitely worth trying... I am glad you got the service setup, Private Message me if any issues with the . 

Best regards,

Brad

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 23rd, 2017 12:00

Any updates shelquis ? Please contact Technical Support(or Dell Brad L) before purchasing a new system board.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 30th, 2017 14:00

Great news. Glad to know you don't have to pay for a new system board. Thanks for the update shelquis.

1 Message

March 16th, 2019 18:00

I called Dell and because my warranty is expired they want me to pay.  I feel it’s not my fault there was a bad update.  Don’t know what to do now?  Can someone help? 

No Events found!