Highlighted
5 Iridium

RE: Amber Powerlight, Black Screen

Jump to solution

If you're comfortable in opening computer, I'd suggest reseating motherboard (coin -cell) battery. Please read manual thoroughly in link below before attempting to remove battery.

Inspiron 20 3052 Service Manual

1. Power off system. Remove all peripherals, AC adapter, battery, and press "Power On" for 15 seconds

2.. Open computer, remove coin-cell battery, and then press Power On button for 30 seconds

3. Reinstall battery. Note: It might be a good idea to purchase a brand new battery to replace the old one. The battery usually cost about $2.00 - $5.00 at your local Walmart, or Dollar store.

Hopefully this will reset BIOS to all default settings...

Highlighted
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

Please click on link below, hopefully it will be a help to you as well: 

Inspiron One 2205 All-in-one will not turn on just amber light

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

Lastly, if you aren't comfortable in opening the computer, I suggest you contact Technical Support in the link below. Hopefully one of the Dell reps here on this forum, see this thread and be a help to you.

Contact Information | Dell US

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Well, I'm stumped for now. I got the stand off, and the optical drive out, but I simply can't get the back cover off. Sounds easy, but I'm exhausted and frustrated right now. I'll get back to you when, or if, I get the back cover off. If anybody has any tricks to successfully prying the back cover off, I'd appreciate hearing them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

I suggest you contact Technical Support in the link above and see what they could do. I don't want you to break that nice looking computer.....:emotion-2:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

OK, I got the back off (w/o breaking anything:emotion-2:). Removed battery, discharged system, replaced battery, reassembled, plugged in. No change in behavior. Amber powerlight, no indication of any activity, no fan noise, no nuthin.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

Please click on the link below and read page 81.

Me and My Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

OK, I understood your instructions regarding the battery removal was to reset BIOS to its default. Page 81 says it will clear ALL data from the CMOS. Does that really mean any user data ADDED to the CMOS? If not, it doesn't sound like I'd be at the factory default, i.e. I's have NOTHING. Wouldn't holding the power switch for 30 sec (i.e. your way)  be as good as just letting the system set for 15 to 30 minutes (the page 81 way)? If my system has the jumpers, should I use them to clear both passwords and CMOS, or just remove the battery and discharge the system? I want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I disassemble and reassemble everything again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

I think it probably best to contact Technical Support and see what they could do for you. Hopefully one of the Dell reps or someone else will charm in and be a help to you.

0 Kudos