Highlighted
3 Argentum

RE: Amber Powerlight, Black Screen

Jump to solution

OK, thanks LSUFAN51. I appreciate your time spent with me and my problem. I'll try clearing the CMOS one more time before I give up and replace the system board. If I'm successful I'll let you know.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I just had the same issue, got a BIOS update this morning. I followed all the steps above and was even able to replace the battery but it is still not turning on. I'm kicking myself for clicking on that stupid BIOS update. Now I have to pay to take my desktop to get it fixed since its out of warranty.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Yolandac1-

Thanks for the update on this about having trouble with the BIOS update. Can you Private Message me your Service Tag so that I can look into this? 

Best regards,

Brad

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue and even with the warranty expired, Dell has offer to repair the unit for free. The problem is they told me they need my computer for 2 weeks to fix it.

Does the BIOS or CMOS reset solve this issue? I'm willing ti try it but don't want to do any more damage. I REALLY need the files from from hard drive.

Thanks, David.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Hi David, 

you can try my post here and you might get lucky (just make sure to use a wired USB keyboard) but resetting the CMOS/Battery etc. will unfortunately not do anything in this case (normally that is a great suggestion). If the BIOS recovery from my post does not work, then service will be your only option.

I hope this helps,

Brad 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks for the suggestion Brad, but she's deader than a door nail. I did pull the hard drive and off-loaded my data, thank goodness.

Regards, David.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Hi David,

Thanks for the update, I am glad you were able to backup your data. I figured it wouldn't work but regardless was definitely worth trying... I am glad you got the service setup, Private Message me if any issues with the . 

Best regards,

Brad

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

Any updates shelquis ? Please contact Technical Support(or Dell Brad L) before purchasing a new system board.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Yes LSUFAN51, thanks for asking. I did contact Dell Technical Support and when I told them my story, they said there were a lot of people with the same story. They're sending me a prepaid return box today, and I'm to return the computer to them for repair, all completely free of charge. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that I really get my computer back functioning like it did before the fateful BIOS update.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

Great news. Glad to know you don't have to pay for a new system board. Thanks for the update shelquis.

0 Kudos