Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 16th, 2009 13:00

Any love for Windows 7 Beta coming?

Just wondering if Dell is working on updating their driver support for Windows 7 Beta. Several of the drivers that I need will not install due to "unsupported OS". I have an XPS 420 that came pre-packaged with Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit; I recently installed a dual boot system to include the new Windows 7 Beta, however, several of the drivers for my original configuration will not install, for example, the Intel Storage Matrix Manager, Intel Pro Adapters for my LAN device, etc. Anyone have similar issues and/or received any kind of feedback from Dell with respect to Windows 7? I know that it is in Beta and support is not usually issued until the final release is made public, but just curious....Thanks

623 Posts

January 16th, 2009 14:00

Just wondering if Dell is working on updating their driver support for Windows 7 Beta. Several of the drivers that I need will not install due to "unsupported OS". I have an XPS 420 that came pre-packaged with Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit; I recently installed a dual boot system to include the new Windows 7 Beta, however, several of the drivers for my original configuration will not install, for example, the Intel Storage Matrix Manager, Intel Pro Adapters for my LAN device, etc. Anyone have similar issues and/or received any kind of feedback from Dell with respect to Windows 7? I know that it is in Beta and support is not usually issued until the final release is made public, but just curious....Thanks

FWIW: Windows7 WHQL-signed drivers like the above ATI driver can already be downloaded from:  http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/

54 Posts

January 16th, 2009 15:00

I emailed Dell to inquire if they could supply me with a list of drivers for Windows 7 Beta for my Dell Dimension 4600C system. This was their reply:

"Thank you for contacting Dell Technical Support.

From your e-mail I understand that you need drivers for your System, Dimension 4600C with Windows 7 beta on it.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

I apologize that Windows 7 drivers are not available for your computer.

I must also tell you that we will not provide any support for any other operating system(other than Windows XP) for your computer."

I interpret the above to say that Dell will not provide any support for an OS other than the one that came with the computer. I think this is a rather strange attitude and I will certainly keep it mind during my next PC purchase.

Like you, I tried to load the drivers for the XP OS but these were rejected. I am particularly in need of the Intel 82865G Graphics Controller driver. I tried the Intel site for the graphics driver for Vista, but the response was that it was not available.

Meanwhile, Win 7 tries to load a graphics controller driver from the Windows upgrade site but, for reasons unknown, this one will not install correctly.

So, it appears we are stuck. No help from Dell. No help from Intel. And the help from Msft will not work.

As an old Dell customer, I am disappointed with their attitude.

Other than the graphics problem (running in low resolution)       

1.3K Posts

January 16th, 2009 15:00

All those drivers installed on my XPS410. Did you try installing in "Compatibility Mode"? Right click the Driver or program file and choose Properties then "Compatibilty" tab, then from the "Run as" drop down, choose Vista and "APPLY".

1.7K Posts

January 21st, 2009 09:00

You won't find any Dell released drivers for Windows 7 until that OS is officially released and Dell sells computers that have it.  Additionally, it is still beta software, so there are probably a number of drivers that would be considered "required" that don't even exist yet.

Basically, Dell does not support an operating system we don't ship the computer with, and we won't ship Windows 7 until it has completed beta testing and actually been released.

1 Message

April 23rd, 2009 01:00

I agree with DELL-Larry in that anyone running a beta should know that there will be problems with drivers, I have been using win7 now for some months and the latest build that I am running is 7077 .

On the two other desktop that i have there have been more problems with drivers but that is only to be expected.

So far I am very pleased with it but having tried out the touchpad and have found that it has stopped working, no big deal will just try and reinstall the drivers from dell and see what happens.

Thats the fun in testing although win7 is a vista revamp so far it is running a lot faster and is not eating memory like vista does .

Win7 running on a

Dell latitude D520

4  Gb ram

This is my first dell machine bought second hand and so far am very pleased with it

:emotion-11: 

No Events found!