Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 14th, 2009 10:00

Are there XP drivers available for the Studio XPS system?

I am planning to replace my Video processing PC with a newer one.  Since I do a lot of video encoding, I need a lot of power and disk space. The Studio XPS specs look good.  However, I want to clone my current XP system to the Studio XPS.  I will not use Vista for two reasons. First, I dislike Vista; it offers me nothing I want.  However, a more important reason is that virtually none of my current Apps will run on Vista.  I have a slew of Adobe apps for processing the video and all would need to be upgraded.  Just those would cost $1099 to upgrade.  Also, there are other linkage programs which may not work in Vista, or may not work with the current version of Adobe apps.

Therefore, I need to find out if there are XP versions of the drivers available for the Studio XPS.  Dell does not explicitly tell who the manufacturer is of all the hardware in the PC.

2.4K Posts

February 14th, 2009 12:00

Dell have no drivers Windows XP for Studio XPS and Look at the Dell Inspiron 530 you can get Windows XP.

4 Posts

February 14th, 2009 13:00

I would need the chipset drivers, Intel storage manager, Intel 825xx LAN support, and Realtek audio drivers.  The XP install disk would not have drivers.  I "clone" my XP system by copying my C drive to another disk, installing that disk in the Dell, booting from the XP install disk and doing an install over top of the old system (repair install).  This replaces all the XP operating system modules but leaves all the apps in place, even the desktop.  That's what I did on this Inspiron 530.

2.5K Posts

Specifically, what drivers are you looking for?  There are hundreds of drivers on the XP installation disk.  You probably will have to do an install and not a clone of your old disk.  The only issue, may be the need for a sata drivers for your hard disks.  My current PCs, all Dells are running from Microsoft retail installation disk, never needed any Dell drivers.   

4 Posts

I know Dell does not have them but the hardware manufacturers DO.  Dell has merely modified the driver files to eliminate all but Vista components.  I don't know who manufactures the Studio XPS motherboard, but both the Intel I7 MB and ASUS I7 MB have both XP and Vista drivers for both the Audio, LAN, chipset, and Storage manager.  The XPS MB resembles the Intel DX58SO as far as components, but the layout is different (6 DIMMS instead of 4), and the PCI/PCI-X mix differ.

I already have a Dell Inspiron 530 which is what I am running on now.  It is my second desktop that I want to replace, and the 530 does not have enough power to replace it.

2.4K Posts

February 15th, 2009 01:00

Look at the Business computers see if enough power for you.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/desktops?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

1.7K Posts

February 17th, 2009 09:00

The full list of Vista drivers for the Studio XPS are:

• Intel® x58 chipset driver
  • Realtek™ ALC888S audio drivers
  • Integrated Intel 82567LF
  • Drives for any PCI Express® video cards installed
  • Drivers for any PCI Express cards installed

For XP you would need to make sure you get all of the equivalent drivers from the hardware manufacturers.

No Events found!