Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 30th, 2003 22:00

Backup Utility

I would like to install the Backup Utility for XP-Home Edition, but there is no Windows XP Home CD-ROM with my computer. There is a Dell Reinstallation CD for XP-Home, but won't this erase the hard drive? Where do I get the Backup Utility?

Thanks

28K Posts

June 30th, 2003 22:00

The reinstallation CD is the same as the Windows XP CD-ROM.  It won't erase the hard drive drive unless you tell it to.  Note that you should be able to install the Backup utilitiy by going to Control Panel - Add Remove Programs - Windows Components.  If it needs the CD, it will ask for it.

Steve

18.8K Posts

July 1st, 2003 01:00

voss,

The procedure for installing MS Backup is given here.

2K Posts

July 1st, 2003 05:00

@voss wrote:
The Dell Reinstallation CD says that it WILL ERASE the hard drive, so I am afraid to even put it in the computer. Has anyone tried this, just to install the Backup Utility? Using the Inspiron 8100.

Thanks

Where does it say "WILL ERASE". ?

To manually install Backup:

Insert the Windows XP Home Edition CD into the CD or DVD drive.
Click Perform additional tasks.
Click Browse this CD.
Click Value Add.
Click MSFT.
Click NTBackup.
Click NT Back installer.
Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the installation of the backup utility.

After installation use Start >All Programs >Accessories >System Tools >Backup

DELL 2600 Laptop
XP SP1
Home Edition
256 Mb RAM 18GB Hard Drive
Dial up Modem 56Kb

147 Posts

July 1st, 2003 05:00

The Dell Reinstallation CD says that it WILL ERASE the hard drive, so I am afraid to even put it in the computer. Has anyone tried this, just to install the Backup Utility? Using the Inspiron 8100.

Thanks

18.8K Posts

July 1st, 2003 16:00

voss,

The reinstallation CD will do nothing until you tell it to. When you insert the CD you should see a menu. At the lower left is a button maked "Exit." Click that button and the menu screen will disappear. Another option available is to hold down the Shift key when you insert the CD and no menu will appear at all.

Now open Windows Explorer and follow the steps to install Microsoft Backup.

147 Posts

July 1st, 2003 21:00

Thanks to everyone, I have installed the Backup Utility! But can I use it to backup my e-mail in Outlook Express? If so, how?

Thanks again!

2K Posts

July 1st, 2003 22:00

They are *.dbx files do a Search for *.dbx to find file , Folder to Backup.

DELL 2600 Laptop
XP SP1
Home Edition
256 Mb RAM 18GB Hard Drive
Dial up Modem 56Kb

146 Posts

July 2nd, 2003 00:00

If you want to back up OE this is much better. And Free.

http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx

47 Posts

November 28th, 2004 21:00

I'm trying to follow your directions for installing backup utility. I have Dimension 2400, Windows XP home edition, and have installed service pack 2 couple of months ago. You stated that after putting in the reinstallation CD, one should go to Windows Explorer. Since i purchased this computer, i have never been able to find Windows Explorer in the Program Files!! Is there another path i can follow?

Thank you.

November 28th, 2004 23:00

In Windows XP Pro Windows Explorer can be found at "All Programs/Accessories/Windows Explorer".  Assume it is in the same spot on Windows XP Home.    Blake

47 Posts

November 28th, 2004 23:00

Thank you so much!!!  Was always confused as to where the Windows Explorer was with this Windows version. Only previous experience was with Windows 98, and Explorer  was Right There! in plain sight.  This will help me try to install the backup utility. Thank you again.

47 Posts

December 1st, 2004 01:00

After manually installing backup utility, I followed your instructions for backing up, but was unable to execute a backup. I rec'd the following error: "The backup filename could not be used E:\backupAll.bkf. Please ensure it is a valid path and that you have sufficient access."  I dont know what this means. Help!

MikiJo

2.1K Posts

December 1st, 2004 11:00

@Miki Jo wrote:

After manually installing backup utility, I followed your instructions for backing up, but was unable to execute a backup. I rec'd the following error: "The backup filename could not be used E:\backupAll.bkf. Please ensure it is a valid path and that you have sufficient access."  I dont know what this means. Help!

MikiJo

I am guessing that your “E:\” drive is a CD-RW burner???

Backup has no ability to backup to optical drives… You can backup to your HD and assuming the resulting file will fit, copy it to a CD/DVD.
No Events found!