Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

February 4th, 2008 23:00

Blocked Startup Program (Macrovision)

I've read several posts related to Blocked Startup Programs in Vista, and now my compter has done it after installing Walmart Music Downloads store.  Every time I reboot, there are two programs from Macrovision that are blocked (Install Shield and Install Shield Update Manager) ...  I checked to see if Windows Defender was causing this, and it was turned off (my computer is new and I've never enabled it -- is this a Windows default, to keep it turned off?)..  I have McAffee Security Center on my PC and I am the administrator so I'm not sure why it always asks me to run them (why are they blocked?)

I guess I'm trying to see if there's a way to always allow them to run without displaying that annoying message in the system tray.

41 Posts

February 5th, 2008 01:00

So is McAfee blocking it or is Windows?  Also I guess I don't understand why the 2 programs need any permission.. They're legitamate programs, and on my other computer that has XP it never gave me the message

2.7K Posts

February 5th, 2008 01:00

Hi

When you have MacAfee Security Center installed it stops the windows firewall and Windows Defender

by default it takes care of that !

So MacAfee Security Center may be your problem with blocking startup programs i would start with

MacAfee and see if it is your problem !!

Then you need to find out if the walmart software is compatible with Vista it seems i have read that

Macrovision is not but i can not be sure of that .

I run a program that gives me the blocked start up and i have no way of making it work other than just unblock it at start up !!

Good Luck

2.7K Posts

February 5th, 2008 03:00

So is MacAfee blocking it or is Windows? 

I can not tell you that because i do not use MacAfee now i have used it before and it gave me to many problems so that trash went out the door when i find it on a new computer !

It is probable windows blocking it and it is just letting you know that , because it will try to connect to the internet on its own !

And this is just my ideas on this !

The program that is on my other computer that gets blocked has to connect to the internet and windows

stops it that is the only program i use on that computer so i do not let it bother me i start the computer and unblock the program and walk away from it ,it runs 24 hours a day 7 days a week to process the info on that program and the info it gets from the internet .

I know this does not help you but it is all i can offer just because a program worked for XP does not mean it will work for Vista and if it requires the extra step to get it to work you may have to get use to it or remove it from your computer !!

Good Luck 

41 Posts

February 6th, 2008 21:00

On the Windows Startup Items, would you recommend disabling issch.exe and isuspm.exe ??  I don't remember these two programs (made by Macrovision) needing "permission" upon startup..  I've read some things on Macrovision's website about UAC and that this was a feature of Install Shield 2008.  Maybe Walmart Music Downloads has this as part of its code.  But I do know that this issue wasn't there prior to installing WMD..  Another thing, apparently you can right-click on a file and change the way it loads (example, it says something about loading it the way Win XP did) ..  ever try that or have any luck?  Or do I always have to uncheck the program from the list of Startup Items...  Are those two executable files installed with Vista?

2.7K Posts

February 6th, 2008 22:00

http://community.macrovision.com/showthread.php?t=177550

I did a little checking click on the link above and see if this might help you !

2.7K Posts

February 6th, 2008 22:00

Hi

The program i run even right clicking on it and selecting properties then select run in XP compatible mode

or run as administrator does not even work it is still blocked and i still have to unblock it but the good thing is the person\company is working on a fix for it !

To me it is a bad software design because if your antivirus can connect without being blocked why is

your software being blocked that is what i asked them !

Roxio had a problem with drag to disk and it was blocked at start up and they wrote a patch to fix it!

I can not tell you anything about msconfig and start up programs i do not mess with it !

One thing you could try is to disable UAC and see if it unblocks it from start up but there could be problems in doing that also !

Good Luck

41 Posts

February 7th, 2008 19:00

C3PO5,

Do you have these two files running on Vista? 

2.7K Posts

February 7th, 2008 20:00

Hi

No i do not use Macrovision so thoes are not on my computer! 

No Events found!