Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

February 6th, 2006 04:00

Blue screen errors

I've been receiving a lot of blue screen errors lately. Below is the full detail of the most recent error message:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

BAD_POOL_HEADER

If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer.  If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.  If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.
If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software.  Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.  If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x00000019 (0x00000020, 0xE2303450, 0xE23034A8, 0x0C0B0401)
What should I do to stop this errors?  Please help me, thank you.

2.9K Posts

February 6th, 2006 10:00

Coyouth,
Not a whole lot of advice on bugcheck 0x00000019 available other than what you see on screen.  However, you might like to visit this site: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

Try some of troubleshooting techniques recommended; i.e., such as using Event Viewer to track down the cause of your stop error.   Let us know what you find out: 
Tony

10 Posts

February 6th, 2006 11:00

The only info I get from the event viewer under "system" is the message:

"Received a PPPoE Session packet for an unknown session. Ignoring this packet."

I can't seem to find any information relating to the blue screen errors that happened.

2.9K Posts

February 6th, 2006 12:00

Coyouth,

OK.  Open My Computer.  Right click on C: drive.  Left click on Properities.  At bottom of Properties window, uncheck  "Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching".  Apply change.  Will take a minute to do this so be patient.

If you have a Linksys or Netgear wireless card, see this link: 

http://www.tweaksforgeeks.com/BAD_POOL_HEADER.html

The message "Received a PPPoE Session packet for an unknown session. Ignoring this packet", indicates something amiss with TCP/IP packets.  Also appears you are using DSL.  Are you using a wireless USB dongle?

Also note reference to Intel ProSet card and drivers in this post:

May be a clue to your problem.

Tony

10 Posts

February 7th, 2006 04:00

1 thing I must agree is that this problem started occuring only after I installed the Service Pack 2 for Windows XP.  Microsoft really gives a hard time to users because of these incompatibilities.

10 Posts

February 7th, 2006 04:00

Will it harm my system in any way if I were to uncheck  "Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching"?  And yes, I'm currently using DSL. My modem is the Aztech ADSL Ethernet DSL 600E model.  Are you saying that it could either be the indexing service that is causing the problem or the DSL modem?

2.9K Posts

February 7th, 2006 10:00

Coyouth,

No.  It will not harm your computer in any way if you turn off the Indexing Service.  In fact,  now that you've updated to Service Pack 2, I recommended it just to pick your overall speed back up.  SP2 is fine when it comes preinstalled on a system or you do a completely clean install from an SP2 disk.  I do not recommend to anyone that they UPGRADE to SP2.  The average user just wants to use his/her computer for whatever purpose they desire.  They are not interested in all the whistles, bells and other refinements that only techies can appreciate.  I simply turn the SP2 upgrade off, but leave on all other critical security updates. 

Will have to do some research on the Aztech DSL modem to see if it has some compatibility quirks with SP2.  Will let you know what I find out.

Tony

10 Posts

February 7th, 2006 23:00

Ok, advice taken.

10 Posts

February 8th, 2006 00:00

Regarding your previous message about having a Linksys or Netgear wireless card and a Intel ProSet card, I don't have any of those so it's probably not cause by them.  Another thing is that there was once where I switched on my computer and I got the Blue screen error(BSE) and I got it continously for the next 4 to 5 restarts.  Couldn't even get into Windows XP. After that, I was shown the screen with the option to restart windows from a previous state and only was I able to enter Windows again. Really don't know what's happening, whether it's a software problem or caused by a hardware driver's problem.

2.9K Posts

February 8th, 2006 02:00

Coyouth,

As to the event message "Received a PPPoE Session packet for an unknown session"

This warning merely means that the protocol received a PPPoE packet it could not attribute to any of its connections and is usually not a sign of any malfunction. One possible cause of this is your service provider sending one more packets after the connection has been terminated. This can also be caused by using another PPPoE implementation on the same machine. 

After reviewing specs on Aztech DSL600E ADSL2 / 2+ Ethernet Bridge Router Modem, I don't think it's causing your problem.  Aztech and Microsoft jointly offer DSL broadband packages in Singapore, so that answers that.

Looks like we're back to the SP2 upgrade.  If everything worked fine before, I think I would just uninstall it.  Instructions here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875350 .  That's what I had to do on my Dell 4100 bench machine.  Automatic Updates will prompt you to install it. Simply go to custom install, uncheck it and check not to be reminded again.  It'll still remind you, but use custom install to install everything but SP2.

Tony

10 Posts

February 9th, 2006 09:00

I still get those blue screen errors even after uninstalling Service pack 2.  Is there a guide where you can direct me to reformat my Dell dimension 2400 pc and install Windows XP again from scratch?  Thanks.
No Events found!