Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

December 16th, 2008 07:00

Bluescreen on start and Error IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Diagnosis: error code 1000-0146 HELP NEEDED!!

Hello,

today I started my Laptop (Inspiron 530m) and all I got was a Bluescreen accompanied by a loud ringtone-like sound.

The following message occurred:

Driver_IRQL_NOT LESS_O_EQUAL

Technical  information: Stop 0x000000D1 (0xF84O(0?)D5HE, 0x00000001, 0x00000000, 0xF84O(0?)D5AE)

Then: NFTS.SYS_Address F840D5AEBASE ATF83AA000 DateStamp 48025be5 (this is written twice)

The system won't start in safe modus or last configuration.

No hardware or software has been installed since last correct session (yesterday).

The Diagnostics DST Shorttest under BIOS reveals the following code:

error code 1000-0146

What is this fuzz about? Can somebody help me to solve this mess?

Thank you!!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 16th, 2008 08:00

DST shows hard drive failure, which could very well be the case but I'm thinking you need to check your RAM via the 32 bit diags, which can be booted from the Resource CD.

Since the last good boot, has anything been changed in terms of hardware?

7 Posts

December 16th, 2008 09:00

No, nothing has changed. Unfortunately I do not have the Resource CD anymore. Can I download the necessary data somewhere?

7 Posts

December 17th, 2008 12:00

Still doesn't work, though it once did this afternoon. We then updated the BIOS and changed the battery. Safe modus is possible, but that's it. Again Bluescreen on normal mode... :emotion-8:

Thanks for any further tips. Oh, no driver and utilities CD anymore...

4.4K Posts

December 17th, 2008 16:00

Some vital file may have got corrupted or a sector of the hard drive containing it has gone bad. If you have the XP installation disc, try booting up from that and from the recovery console, run chkdsk /r that will look for bad sectors and attempt to recover files from them.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

7 Posts

December 18th, 2008 05:00

Thanks for the info. The situation has now gotten even a little bit more complicated:

This morning I could start the computer without a problem though it didn't work yesterday at home.

We once again ran the diagnostics tool under BIOS but the DST Short test failed, displaying once more error code 100-0146.

We restarted the computer several times, taking out hard ware one at a time (first DVD, then HDD, then the battery, then card reader hardware) and each time started the diagnostic program. The DST Short test keeps failing each time, but the computer will still boot.

We then launched Chkdsk under Windows and choose the repair option, following a restart, this check was completely performed. It did not yield any error messages. Still, the DST Short test keeps displaying the error message.

Once I take it home to restart it, it will probably show a bluescreen again and won't start...

14 Posts

December 25th, 2008 12:00

hi,

Try to boot thru the OSCD and goto the recovery console and there try to run CHKDSK\R.....once it is done type the command"fixboot" and then type "exit"....if it works then good or do OSRI.....

1.7K Posts

December 25th, 2008 12:00

We once again ran the diagnostics tool under BIOS but the DST Short test failed, displaying once more error code 100-0146.

What test was it running when it got the failure?  The diagnostics will tell you the test that generated the error in addition to the error itself.  That should give you a better idea of where the failure is actually at.

7 Posts

January 4th, 2009 05:00

Hi, it says:

Pre-boot System Assessment Build 3012

Device: Hard Drive

Test: Start DST Short Test

--Start DST Short Test--

Test Results: Fail

Error code: 1000-0146

Msg: Unit 0:DST Log contains previous error(s)

And here is the really mysterious thing about it:

The Computer will boot normally and work properly in the kitchen and the bedroom not showing the bluescreen.

However, when booted in the living room or in the office (both face the street) the bluescreen occurs. Even when the computer was booted in the kitchen and then taken to the living room or office, the bluescreen will occur after just a few minutes.

We have tried to switch off the WLAN but it won't help either. How can different rooms of our apartment influence the behavior of a computer?? We have another Dell laptop and it doesn't face any of these problems!

P.S.: We already have tried CHKDSK - but obviously w/o success.

7 Posts

January 4th, 2009 10:00

In addition we have used the Dell Latitude Utilities CD for Diagnosis.

The following results were yielded:

Express Test:

Device: IDE Disk S/N=NN4TT4214VBA

Test: S.M.A.R.T Short Self Test

Test Status: Running IDE S.M.A.R.T. drive self test

Error Code: 0F00:065D

Msg.: IDE Device failed: The self-test failed the read portion of the test.

What does this mean?

But still: Why does it work in the kitchen...?

1.7K Posts

January 6th, 2009 08:00

Check the Event Log (Control Panel > Admin Tools > Event Viewer) to see if it shows any errors either at or just before the time of the bluescreen.  I think that is going to help you narrow down what is causing the problem.

Does it appear to be anything in particular, other than what room you are in, that causes the error to come up?

7 Posts

January 10th, 2009 16:00

We have reinstalled XP and the computer seems to work, even in the living room. Except for one bluescreen it seems fine. But the Diagnostics tool still delivers the same error message, so the problem still seems to exist. Might it be helpful to buy a new HDD? Might it be defect?

No Events found!