Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 23rd, 2004 20:00

Boot Winxp From USB?

I have a D600 and have been trying to boot Windows XP from a hard drive connected to the USB port. I have updated the BIOS to the latest versin per Dell and switched the bios to boot from USB. Windows XP actually starts to boot and then crashes when it gets to the pretty Windows XP graphical boot status screen.

This drive will boot fine from the internal hard drive bay in the same computer all day. Can anyone tell me why the hard drive will not boot from the USB port? Also, can anyone tell me if there is a hack to booting Windows XP from the USB port?

I have checked the Microsoft website for hints, but there was only one marginally informative article about this topic.

Please Help!

Thanks

Brad

14 Posts

July 10th, 2004 06:00

umm go in BIOS and set your first boot priority to usb if there is an option for that

July 11th, 2004 18:00

ummmm.....Did you read my email? Please do before posting a reply.

I clearly said that I had already switched the bios to boot from usb.

Let me know if you have any more pointers.

4 Posts

August 2nd, 2004 19:00

Brad,

Have you had any success yet ?   I did the same thing as you with my Precision M60 with the same result.  Boots fine from the internal bay but crashes to a blue screen when connected to a USB port.  I just need to have it as a third system boot ... I already have 2 systems on the internal. 

Let me know if you've had any success ...

259 Posts

August 3rd, 2004 16:00

Currently windows does not support using a USB drive as the primary drive.  There are many limitations in XP that prevent booting and loading the OS from a USB drive.  Currently only USB flash drives and USB cdroms will operate correctly as fully bootable devices.  There is information about booting from USB here.

Respectfully,

4 Posts

August 6th, 2004 00:00

Darn .. I didn't want to hear that ...

I guess I can make my internal drive triple boot .. but I can't get one big enough to allow me to have any space on each of the OS's. 

Thanks though ...

August 6th, 2004 12:00

Yes. Windows is utterly lame. This is something that should work and a great reason for By the way, thanks for the reply almost a month later. I can't believe that Dell doesn't get asked about this issue at least once a day.
No Events found!