Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 27th, 2017 14:00

Boot configuration data file is missing; need to keep data

I have an Inspiron 17R. After installing a security update from Avast antivirus, I was told to restart to finish the update. After restarting, I get a blue screen stating that this PC needs to be repaired, the boot configuration data file is missing, and I needed to use recovery tools. The error code is: 0xc0000098

After purchasing the recovery USB from Dell, I ran the recovery tool and it started to scan for errors. After the scan, it said that the Master boot is fine, but the partition has a red X by it. I would have to back up and restore. When I tried to select the files I needed to specifically back up, the computer restarted. I didn't want to factory reset my computer as I still need some book marks and files I can't get any other way on it. Is there anything I can do?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 28th, 2017 05:00

Remove the hard drive, mount it in a 2.5" external USB shell and connect it to a working system.  Copy what you need.

Before proceeding with the reinstall, run an extended -- not just quick - hard drive test.  F12 at powerup.

October 28th, 2017 14:00

I ran the extended scan in the diagnostics under f12. It said there was no errors. I'm not sure I will be able to take the hard drive out as I have a laptop. I'm also afraid of messing it up since Ive never taken one out before.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 29th, 2017 04:00

If you have an external drive, you can also make a bootable Linux flash drive, boot the system from it and use that to copy what you need to the external drive.  If not, contact a local computer repair shop for assistance.

October 29th, 2017 13:00

Would it help if I created a Windows installation drive using the Media create tool and repair the BCD file that way? I've seen some videos on how to do it. They are all similar and I think I can do it that way.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 29th, 2017 20:00

It depends on what's wrong.  And I would not make ANY attempt at recovery before you've made a full backup of any files you can't afford to lose.  Chances are that now, you can recover your data -- if you make an attempt that fails, you may lose that option.

Get the data off the drive before proceeding.

November 2nd, 2017 21:00

I was able to create an installation USB. After loading up and selecting repair this computer, I ran the diagnostic tool. It started to run, then restarted. I'm not even sure it fixed anything. It still won't boot. Now when I try to use the USB again to access the command prompt, it is giving me another blue screen with the error code 0xc000000e

I ran the diagnostic in the f12 menu and instead of the partition table having an X by it, the boot files have the X. Did something break the USB? I originally had either Windows 7 or 8 and updated to 10. The installation file is for Windows 10.

15 Posts

November 3rd, 2017 03:00

maybe, you can choose to backup files in safe mode( https://www.backup-utility.com/backup-restore/backup-files-safe-mode-4348.html ) before you reset your computer.

November 3rd, 2017 13:00

That link doesn't work. I can't even get into safe mode because the computer won't boot up enough to even get to safe mode. I can't boot windows at all to be able to boot to windows.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 3rd, 2017 14:00

What model system do you have (i.e., XPS 9550, Inspiron N5110, etc.)?  And is it a hard drive, or a solid state drive?

16 Posts

November 4th, 2017 06:00

Please try the following fix and see if that helps you:

www.kapilarya.com/fix-the-boot-configuration-data-file-is-missing-some-required-information

Now, something that was not detailed in that link, so here are the steps to be executed::

1. If you don’t have a restore media or system disk to perform a recovery download Windows 10 from:

www.microsoft.com/.../windows10

This will only download a simple tool which you can use later to create a USB or DVD image with Windows 10 which you can use later to perform the recovery.

2. Restart PC with the USB/DVD, selected advanced recovery options and then open administrative Command Prompt.

3. All you need to do is enter following command :

bcdboot c:\windows

Substitute C with your system root drive letter in the above mentioned command. This command allows to copy BCDboot file from existing Windows partition to motherboard partition and creates the BCD store in the same partition. 

Hope this helps.

November 4th, 2017 18:00

Also what version of Windows should I be trying to use? The windows 10 that I upgraded to or the original windows?

November 4th, 2017 18:00

I have an Inspiron model 7720. I have 2 hard drives according to my diagnostics test. How do I find out the system root drive letter?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 5th, 2017 03:00

Are the drives set up as two separate ones, or is this a RAID 0 array?

F2 at powerup to check.

Removing the drive is easy to do on this model - however -- if they're in a RAID 0 array, recovering your data will be a much more complex (and far less certain in outcome) project.

If there are two separate drives, remove the primary one and mount it externally - and attach to a working system.  Copy your data.  

The procedure for removing a drive is detailed here - and is easy on this model.

downloads.dell.com/.../inspiron-17r-se-7720_owner's manual_en-us.pdf

No Events found!