Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 6th, 2009 18:00

Bootmgr is missing

I have been trying to figure out this bootmgr is missing error. I am working on a Dell Inspirion 8200. When I bought it  the hard drive was formatted.  It was originally installed with XP pro. The OEM sticker was on the back so I ordered the recovery disc from Dell and when I try to install XP pro the only thing that comes on my screen is BOOTMGR is missing press ctrl+alt+delete to restart. I am able to install my Vista home premium copy just fine though my  graphics accelerator is not functioning properly. I suspect that I don't have the correct drivers for Vista installed. I have formatted my harddrive and tried to re-install XP but I'm stuck in a loop. I have googled this search and I have yet to find a solution. I'm going to install a new hard drive next as I think that someone  has installed Vista on this and for what ever reason it will not reload XP. Any ideas?

• 

16.7K Posts

May 7th, 2009 06:00

1952bshock,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Have you tried a repair install to see if that will resolve the issue?

How to go about Repairing Windows XP
1. Put your Windows XP Install CD into your CD-ROM drive.
2. Reboot your computer.
3. Let your system boot off of the CD.
4. Let the Setup go through the first part of the Installation procedure.
5. When you come to the screen in which it says "Welcome to Setup." press Enter to Setup Windows XP.
6. Press F8 to agree to the End User License.
7. Let the Setup search your system for previous versions of Windows.
8. When the Setup is finished searching your system, select your Windows XP Installation and press the R key on your keyboard to start the Repair Procedure.

No Events found!