Highlighted
poleaxed
Bronze

Broadcom Wireless BCM42RLY service

3 week old Inspiron 1525, Vista Home Premium, All Microsoft updates installed.

In event viewer I have this entry dozens of times -

"The BCM42RLY service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified."

What file? Why can't it find it?

My wireless seems to work fine, but I've a suspicion it's impacting on attempts to CHKDSK.

It's not a Trojan I've scanned, I'd just like to disable it from  starting.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
26 Replies
Otiss
Gold

Re: Broadcom Wireless BCM42RLY service

can you double check your broadcome drivers you have installed for it vs the ones on dell's site to make sure you got the latest one?
0 Kudos
poleaxed
Bronze

Hi Otiss,

Yes, I've previously done all the advised driver updates from the Dell website so it's not a driver issue.

I've a feeling that Dell have hijacked/supplanted Broadcom's wireless utility and orpahned this BCM42RLY thing (Whatever it is, wherever it is, and whatever it does!!)

As I say, I wouldn't really bother as the machine seems to be running o.k. But if I attempt to do a scheduled CHKDSK (with repair option) then, on reboot, CHKDSK goes through all the stages o.k., advises it will reboot the machine, which it does, bios loads o.k., windows corporation (with scrolling green animation) starts up, and there it sits, indefinitely!

It seems that something is stalling windows loading up, so I'd like to eliminate this BCM42RLY issue (if nothing else other than to strike it off as the likely culprit)

poleaxed  

0 Kudos

ttt

Same problem as described.  Have searched in vain for driver kit that includes the proper file or for a way to turn off the service (short of the useful - power off NIC on battery). At this point a simiple explanation of what  the service is and does and why this error is popping up inthe Stystem logs would be helpful.  There are too many Internet stories of machines that are hijacked with this file (though this was a clean build and hijackthis and other malware scans give a green light).

0 Kudos
Otiss
Gold

poleaxed, at this point all I can do is advise you to reinstall the drivers, as far as I know that file belongs to your broadcom drivers
0 Kudos
poleaxed
Bronze

Hi,

I'll keep investigating and let you (both) know of any resolution (should I get one!)

Best,

poleaxed

0 Kudos
RCBullar
Copper

Folks,

I don't know if this helps, but this problem appeared on my system on April 11, 2008, curiously enough the same day that I installed Windows Vista Service Pack 1.  I realize I'm adding 2 and 2 and getting 5, but I suspect that SP1 did away with the required BCM42RLY.sys file in the windows\system32 directory.

Cheers,

Rob

0 Kudos
keving98
Bronze

I did a search for "bcm42rly.sys" on Google and found a site that had (3) different versions. I downloaded and added version 2.31.0.2 to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers. The Event Log errors went away and there have not been any adverse effects so far.

System: Inspiron 1501 with Vista Business SP1 

Side note: I thought that the "bcm42rly.sys" was somehow related to the "Broadcom Wireless Manager UI" listed in HKLM-Run. Removing this entry from HKLM-Run did not stop the "bcm42rly.sys" errors. Re-adding the "Broadcom Wireless Manager UI" entry to HKLM-Run and adding "bcm42rly.sys" to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers" did not cause the "Broadcom Wireless Manager UI" to appear in the taskbar. It appears that both "Broadcom Wireless Manager UI" and "bcm42rly.sys" are dead-enders.

Use at your own risk:

ftp://ftp.intercom.net.ua/pub/hardware/hpna/linksys/bcm42rly.sys

Kevin G

Message Edited by keving98 on 05-15-2008 07:48 AM
Message Edited by keving98 on 05-15-2008 07:50 AM
0 Kudos
poleaxed
Bronze

Thanks guys, I'll give it a go.
0 Kudos
alpo5
Bronze

I've got the same problem here.  Basicly the same laptop.  Inspiron 1525.  Just got it a week or so ago.  Been noticing that error and busting my head trying to find it.  Concluded that is has to do with the Broadcom Wireless card but thats as far as I got.  Will be watching this thread and may try that fix mentioned above.
0 Kudos