Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

HA

April 18th, 2004 10:00

CHECKPOINT [HDsk] on booting up pc?

Hi,

I been looking through the forum, but i cannot find anything on my issue.  I use to have a lot of problems booting up my pc and I had to either restart the pc or boot it with the floppy boot disk.  During this time I sometimes came across a black screen saying  'CHECKPOINT [HDsk] ........... contact Dell' Can anyone tell me what this check point means?  Recently my pc is running fine and booting up fine, but it freezes quite often.  From what i read the resources may be affecting the pc and making it freeze up.

What can i do?

..............................................................................................................................................................

I have a Dell 4300 Dimension

Windows ME

256 RAM

40G HD Drive

Norton Anti Virus 2003  System Works

..............................................................................................................................................................

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 18th, 2004 23:00

Looks like a possible hard disk issue. Have you tried running Dell diagnostics?

62 Posts

April 22nd, 2004 20:00

It is a hard disk issue.  How do you run Diagnostics on Win ME?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 23rd, 2004 10:00

Go to your support home page and look under downloads. The downloaded file will prompt you to prepare a few floppies. You just boot from the first one and go from there.

13 Posts

November 10th, 2004 17:00

Ok.  I have this issue on my Dimension 8200 running XP Pro SP2.  Only one thing, the whole deck is cooked.  It simply will not boot past the error.  The BIOS lists NO INSTALLED DRIVES... this includes 2 hard drives and 2 CD drives.  Upon a few reboots, the error eventually beeps and lists text with instructions to call Dell Tech. 

I will be taking the PC into a hardware shop for repairs.  For my money, the problem will not be addressed with a simple hard drive diagnostic.  It is either a hardware (drive controller) or BIOS based issue.  I'll post the outcome of the shop visit here so the true scoop is available.

2 Posts

October 22nd, 2011 22:00

Hi,

RE: ''CHECKPOINT [HDsk] ........... contact Dell' Can anyone tell me what this check point means?'

Yes, the memory modules need to be seated properly.  (Your computer is probably beeping 'beep codes' too) Unplug all accessories, and the main power cord, push the start button for 30 seconds to clear the memory, open up the case, remove the small round battery on the motherboard and check the small round battery for proper voltage.  CAREFULLY Reinstall the small round battery on the motherboard (or replace with a fresh battery).  Check the power supply plug to the hard drive for snug connection. Check all installed cards (video / audio / etc.) and CAREFULLY reseat the cards. Double check the memory module tabs to make sure the memory modules are seated and snugly installed (with the white tabs on the sides in the secure 'up' position.)  Push the start button again to clear the memory.  CAREFULLY Reinstall all accessory cords, install the main power cord. Turn on computer. You will be prompted to select F1 for 'start normally' or F2 to go to 'set up mode'. Select F1 'start normally'. Windows starts as normal, then manually set date and time. This should solve the 'CHECKPOINT [HDsk]' situation, alright ? If the situation persists, try different memory modules and remove any recently installed hardware which may not be compatible with your system configuration,

Hope this helps,

Kevin

No Events found!