Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

December 17th, 2004 03:00

Can I disable the "new hardware found" message?

I recently installed a new HP printer on my Dell Dimension 8200.  The software didnt install properly, but the printer works fine.  Everytime I turn the computer on, I get the "New hardware found" bubble coming up in the right bottom corner of my screen.  If I click on it, it goes away, but it does this 5 or 6 times before it stops.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 17th, 2004 10:00

Redo the printer installation.  Fix the cause, not the actual message.

When you install peripherals such as Printers, scanners, etc make sure you install the software/drivers first and DO NOT connect the printer (or scanner) to the PC until the installation program tells you to.  If you connect the device first the installation will either fail or you will get a generic Windows driver, not the full feature driver that the manufacturer supplies.

Uninstall what software you have installed, physically disconnect the printer.  Restart Windows and then do a new install and do not connect the printer until the installation program tells you to.

December 17th, 2004 20:00

I have previously done everything you mentioned with no luck.  Dell refers me to HP and HP refers me to Dell.  Guess I have to live with it.

No Events found!