Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

V

November 17th, 2010 06:00

Can ping websites but can't browse

This is not an issue any longer but figured I would post the resolution, maybe can help someone else!

When booting up my laptop I could access the internet fine. After a few minutes everything would stop working, I couldnt browse to any site (google.com, yahoo.com...etc) but from cmd I could ping the sites. I tried winsock fix, virus scans, driver updates, removing and disabling all firewalls... NOTHING!!!

Finally found that my issue was cause by uninstalling Cisco's VPN client:

Symptoms

On starting the computer the computers internet access will work normally for a short period of time. Then access to normal websites will be down. Access to https sites, internet application such as instant messaging and e-mail are still accessible.

Cause

Uninstalling Cisco VPN client doesn't fully uninstall hidden Zone Alarm Firewall which causes a block in port 80 on the computer.

Resolution

Cisco VPN client version 4.0 includes firewall functionality from Zone Labs Inc. It is possible that a failed Zone Labs uninstall left an incorrect value in the systems registry and must be changed. To resolve the problem follow these steps.

Caution This procedure contains information about editing the registry. Before you edit the registry, make sure you understand how to restore it if a problem occurs.

Step 1 Restart the computer and when your computer screen displays the startup message like "Starting Windows..." and a progress bar at the bottom of the screen, press the F8 key on the keyboard. This should display an advanced options screen.

Step 2 At the advanced options screen select "Safe Mode" as a startup method.

Step 3 If prompted, login to the PC once it is booted (you must have Administrator rights to login in Safe Mode).

Step 4 Click Start > Run and type "regedit" in the Open: box (without the quotes) and click OK. This launches the Windows registry editor.

Step 5 In the registry editor, browse to the following path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\vsdatant and select the Start parameter in the right pane.

Step 6 Right-click Start and select Modify. In the Value data: field enter the number 3.

Step 7 Click OK and exit the registry editor.

Step 8 Restart the computer and boot normally; the problem should be resolved.

( Resolution found at: http://ralphwhitbeck.com/CommentView,guid,4ab62f8b-c0bc-4b3e-a965-3033d0d5e018.aspx )

Hope this helps someone else!

• 

16.7K Posts

November 17th, 2010 11:00

vanillaface333,

Thanks for posting this helpful information on the forum for the users. I am sure users will benefit. Thanks Again!

159 Posts

November 17th, 2010 12:00

Thanks a lot. I liked this step by step guides. It was excellent.

No Events found!