Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 6th, 2008 20:00

Cannot Install Dell Support Center - help please

I keep getting reminders (as stated below) from Dell Support, but every install fails
with error: Fatal Execution Engine Error: 0x7927f26e.
It doesn't matter if I choose run or download it first and then run it.

The web site states: A series of alerts notify you that Dell Support Center (DSC) 2.0 replaces Dell Support 3.4. The alert instructs you to manually download DSC 2.0 from the Web. If you do not download Dell Support 3.4, an automatic update to DSC 2.0 occurs in December 2007

Now here is what I find puzzling - nothing ever tells me to download Dell Support 3.4 nor can I find
a way to do that. I suspect the reason Dell Support Center install is failing is because I am
actually running Dell Support 3.3 and not 3.4. The automatic update never occurred either.

How do I remedy this and get Dell Support Center installed?

Thanks,
Joanne

4.4K Posts

January 6th, 2008 20:00

If you really think either is useful, you could uninstall Dell Support (should be in add/remove), then download, save to a convenient folder to your hard drive, Dell Support Centre from

Double click on the file you downloaded and saved to install Dell Support Center.

I suggest that before you download Dell Support Center you check that your PC meets the requirements (bottom of that link).

PS: if you do an advanced search of these boards for dell support center, you will find several posts that report difficulties with installing it, possibly with other suggestions.

Message Edited by JRosenfeld on 01-06-2008 10:44 PM

3 Posts

January 6th, 2008 21:00

Well, there is that usefulness question for sure which is why I've been procrastinating on this so long to begin with, but figured now that I had some time I would at least play with it and see if I liked it. ;-)

But... I believe I found the problem - went back to double check those system requirements. I'm just so used to checking RAM and disk space and all those basics for stuff that I just glossed over that opening line - and it's the killer - media center. I must have misread that as media player for whatever reason. Well, if I need media center in order to run Dell support - it isn't gonna happen. :-)

Thanks...

4.4K Posts

January 7th, 2008 14:00

It says Windows XP, Windows Media center.

That means either one or the other. As you posted in XP forum I assume you have XP?

3 Posts

January 7th, 2008 17:00

Yes I do - XP professional version 2002 service pack 2 and my 'puter is Dell Dimension XPS.

The interesting thing I also noted is that I got the exact same error when I went in to remove
Dell Support 3.3 so I could just be rid of that annoying message to upgrade. Unlike installation
of the support center, it did seem to actually
remove the program successfully - error or not. I just figured that error was somehow related
to several failed attempts to install the support center and then removal when it
did fail was less that total cleanup.

Anyway - I was going to try again sometime now that 3.3 is gone (as you suggested). I know not if it will make any difference because I know not what the real problem is. That's what I
would like to know - what that error actually indicates. Trial and error gets rather tedious at times. ;-)
I have used restore points several times on my 'puter and that little tool has always made me
wonder. It's handy sometimes, but one has to wonder just what is still left lurking around
after doing that. ;-)

4 Posts

January 10th, 2008 18:00

Joanne2008,

are you still experiencing problems installing Dell Support Center? If so, can you try to download and install from this link http://www.dell.com/dellsupportcenter and let me know if you are still seeing the same problem?

DSC_Expert

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 10th, 2008 19:00

If I recall correctly, the new version of Dell Support Center uses Java

Get the latest Java here.

No Events found!