Highlighted
Sionz
6 Indium

Cannot retrieve Windows 7 updates. Will get stuck in endless checking for updates loop when updating through control panel.

Been unable to update for long time now after doing a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit on my Studio XPS 9100. I always seem to get in a endless loop of checking for updates when trying to use Windows Update through the control panel. I have done a clean install multiple times and the problems still occurs and it has been this way for a year now. I did not have much reason to actively seek for answers on ways to fix this problem because I only use this computer for gaming purposes and I use a different PC for all my work purposes but that PC is starting to fail. I will be moving everything over from my work PC to my XPS to save money on buying another PC and to save space but want to make sure everything is secure with having Windows 7 up-to-date. I have tried multiple approaches to trying to fix the issue from other help sources including stopping certain service (wuauserv, bits, and cryptsvc) and renaming Catroot2 and SoftwareDistribution and starting said services back up but wuauserv could not be stopped everytime I attempted this method. I have tried running Microsoft Fix It but that will always get stuck when trying to check for updates just as through the control panel. I also remember at one point deleting certain entries through regedit from the registry that people have said to been the issue with some Dell PCs hanging on checking for updates which did not work either and I made sure to backup the original registry and import it back after it did not work. Would greatly appreciate any fixes for my issue that I have not tried. Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
8 Krypton

RE: Cannot retrieve Windows 7 updates. Will get stuck in endless checking for updates loop when updating through control panel.

Clean Install Windows 7 and then install Service Pack 1 manually if its not included in your installation media:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/obtaining-the-latest-service-pa...

Also install the perquisite updates for Internet Explorer and Internet Explorer 11 manually.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos